Should I assist hatch? Abandoned egg.

I have her wrapped in a heating blanket in my lap right now (it’s 90 degrees here 🥵). Do you think I can try to slip her under mom tonight?

How old are the other chicks that hatched under mom? Is she still sitting on any eggs (even fake ones) and/or acting broody? How long ago did she abandon the egg - just today?

Not the same species, but I had a chicken apparently abandon an egg mid-Saturday. I put it in an incubator that afternoon, and the chick hatched early Sunday morning. I stuck it under the hen Sunday evening an hour before bed. In my case, the broody hen went back to sitting on the fake eggs I'd left in her nest when I pulled the live one out, and her older chicks had hatched the previous Wednesday and Friday, so they weren't too far apart in age. My broody is amazingly mellow about me (no pecking or upset when I shoved the chick under her and pulled out the fake eggs). She heard the chick peeping as I brought it to the coop (it was cold) and started clucking to it before I even put it under her.

Hope some folks on here will chime in with turkey experiences.

HATCHED!!!!

She’s super wriggly and chirpy. Do I need to anything special now?
Can you get a picture of where this is attached?
1684181011473.png

I have her wrapped in a heating blanket in my lap right now (it’s 90 degrees here 🥵). Do you think I can try to slip her under mom tonight?
I had a hen with a late hatching egg that she had stopped sitting on, and literally kicked around while teaching the other chicks how to chicken.
I made a ghetto incubator in my bathroom, and the chick hatched the next day. I waited until the little dude was dry and able to walk pretty well, and slipped the little dude under the mom at that point. Worked out well!

Is that little piece of shell/membrane still attached to your chick? Can we get some pics of what's going on with it? If she didn't fully absorb everything, it can be a serious problem.

I’ve never seen them this young before so I’m not sure but it does look swollen. Edit to add: it detached when she was flopping around

Attachments

• 1B94420C-AB6F-4C75-8D7C-82F4660BA44E.jpeg
    1B94420C-AB6F-4C75-8D7C-82F4660BA44E.jpeg
    443.2 KB · Views: 13
I’ve never seen them this young before so I’m not sure but it does look swollen. Edit to add: it detached when she was flopping around
Their bellies look swollen and they look like area 51 aliens at first. It's because of the yolk they absorbed.

Keep an eye on that little nub, it looks like it'll probably finish drying up and falling off on it's own, but make sure there's no hole or anything there.

I think you're doing well. Just keep your new little chick warm, and let it dry off. Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom