Abandoned Geese have new home! But the new owner needs advice!

JulieFS

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Freeport, Michigan
These two geese were dropped off at my house at night. They're really sweet and obviously used to be pets since they eat out of my hand. I've been told they are Toulouse (sp?)??? Anyone know if male/female?? I've never had geese and know NOTHING. I'm looking for a good book (comparable to Storey's guides) on how to care for them.

What do i feed them? They have a pretty large enclosure with a large wooden enclosed box to sleep at night. Do they need a heat lamp?

The first photo (of both) is showing what i'm guessing is the Female (spotted bill). The second is what I'm assuming is the male. The "male" seems to guard the other. He hisses and gets all poofed up and she makes a lot of noise... more little honks, where HE makes wind-like beautiful sounds (not sure what it's called)

they look just like my Toulouse...I feed mine cracked corn, layer pellets and oatmeal...also for greens, lettuce, cabbage, turnip greens...they are quite the grazers and love to wander the yard keeping the grass mowed...your guys look nice and healthy...enjoy them...mine are comedians as a side line and are very entertaining...very curious and snoopy...pretty smart...good memory...love them to pieces and as long as I am breathing I will have them following me around making a running commentary on everything I am doing...

That sounds like pair behavior but it's not a guarantee that it's a male and female. The top goose looks like a mix. You can feed them layer feed, flock raiser, etc. They shouldn't need a heat lamp at this age unless it gets very very cold.

They will not require a heat lamp at all. I am in Wisconsin and ours have a three sided shelter and that had grass hay on the floor for them to nestle down in and eat as well. I feed a mix of whole oats, whole wheat, 18% duck pellet and a handfull of whole corn. On very cold nights I DO feed them more whole corn. Remember, even when it is very cold they still need water and make sure it is deep enough for them to get there head into above the eyes so they can clean there eyes and nostriles out. I myself NEVER use buckets of any kind. Reason, I have lost 2 geese within days of jumping into a bucket head first and not being able to get out. I use the 5 or so inch deep black rubber pans at Farm and Fleet that are like 2 or so gallons each for the winter. Have fun and enjoy your geese.

They will not require a heat lamp at all.

I second that. They pull up their feet and tuck their bill under their wing. Last winter my goose sat comfortably outside in the snow, it was 0 degrees, windy and snowing. I was worried, so I took him inside the house, but after 15 minutes he started honking in front of the door and wanted out.

As long as they can seek shelter from the wind (they may not, though) and have access to food and water, they'll be fine.

Congrats on your beautiful new geese!

They're definitely Toulouse - although that one may be a mix, as someone mentioned already.

I provide Nutrena All Flock for my flock of chickens, ducks and geese. I supplement with bagged salad greens, a Tethered (hung) cabbage, dry old-fashioned oatmeal, and shredded mozzarella cheese as treats. They do not NEED a pool, but will be very happy with a kiddie pool. They WILL need deeper water, maybe a large trough of water, than simply for drinking because they do need to dunk their heads into the water.

They are totally herbivores (vegetarian) so they won't eat the variety of foods as do chickens. No meats. I was surprised my pair will eat the shredded cheese.

They're quieter than most geese, although when they get honking, THAT is loud. They just don't honk a lot. They are VERY smart, very clever, and will pull apart anything just for curiosity's sake. Mine have dismantled a solar fountain, pulling off the water tubes and yanking out the small pump. They've pulled apart a stack of wood scraps. They also use things as toys - mine play with sticks in their stock tank. Like ducks, they bill everything. If they tug at your clothing, it's usually for attention. But they'll untie shoelaces, pull velcro straps apart, find things in the yard to toss around...

I absolutely adore my pair of Toulouse.

How are your new geese doing?

They're doing GREAT! I'm surprised that they don't even TRY to bite me! At night I wrangle them into an enclosed wooden shelter. At first they were all kinds of confused, but now whenever they see me come out right at dark, they both honk and then go into the shelter themselves!!! I'm AMAZED at their intelligence! They've got amazing personalities! I feel very blessed that they "chose" me to take care of them!

Back
Top Bottom