abandoned mallard egg

kugirl

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
We have a sweet mallard couple that hangs out near our house every year. Mama must have confused our new pool for the neighbors pond and began swimming around on it. However one day she was acting funny, and just before she hopped in the water, she squirted out an egg. She swam for about 3 minutes and left...and never came back. The weather was changing dramatically that day, so I made my husband go get the egg before it froze. She never came back. We have it under a light, and have been turning it. According to my research, we should have a baby in about a week. I've read a lot, but I would really advice on what to do with the baby.

what would i be looking for exactly? I used the flashlight, but didn't really know what to be looking for.

It actually takes 4 weeks for ducks to hatch and temperature and humidity has to be "just right". I would actually just let it be. I see a lot of mallard eggs around and I just leave them for the wild animals to eat as the mother obviously didn't want it.

Last edited:
if you've been trying to hatch it for at least a week and you shined a flash light in it..even someone who doesn't know what they're looking for would know something was happening..you would see veins forming..and they are very evident. I'd say if you don't see anything at this point..either it was not fertile..or you didn't have the temperature right..it has to be at least 99.6 constant temperature or the duckling will not begin to form. That's why you can order eggs through the mail and they'll still hatch..the egg can sit for a period of a few days before incubation starts and still be ok...but if it hasn't started to grow yet, i'd just toss it before it starts to smell..I've never had luck hatching an egg with out an actual incubator, although some have, but that is people who are pretty proficient at it already.

Back
Top Bottom