Mallard Nests

SuzHa

Hatching
Oct 23, 2023
Hello all,
I live in Southwestern PA and I have four mallard ducks (2 drakes, 2 hens). I thought they would fly south and come back, but they decided to stay with us…so far. We are in the process of winterizing their pen.

Anyways, my hen started to build a nest inside the pen and currently has 2 eggs. I obviously do not want ducklings this time of year in PA. Do I mark these 2 eggs and then keep taking the new egg everyday until she stops?
Will she ever stop laying or keep laying in the same nest everyday?

Please help with any info you may have. I used to have mallards when I was younger and they always flew South by Labor Day and came back, but these ducks seem to be taking on the same mindset as the current youth…they don’t wanna leave home. 😂🤣

Hello all,
I live in Southwestern PA and I have four mallard ducks (2 drakes, 2 hens). I thought they would fly south and come back, but they decided to stay with us…so far. We are in the process of winterizing their pen.

Anyways, my hen started to build a nest inside the pen and currently has 2 eggs. I obviously do not want ducklings this time of year in PA. Do I mark these 2 eggs and then keep taking the new egg everyday until she stops?
Will she ever stop laying or keep laying in the same nest everyday?

Please help with any info you may have. I used to have mallards when I was younger and they always flew South by Labor Day and came back, but these ducks seem to be taking on the same mindset as the current youth…they don’t wanna leave home. 😂🤣
So ours just keep laying eggs... take them and eat them, the eggs are all probably fertilized anyways. They slow down or stop laying in the winter months...

Back
Top Bottom