Abandoned nest, how to incubate eggs of unknown age?

scifiponygirl369

In the Brooder
May 20, 2020
Our Guinea hen laid 27 eggs and then got broody. After she got broody she laid more eggs, ate some of them, kept some. Ten of the eggs hatched, we lost 2 of the keets, one of which the hen killed by pecking it to death. Since she was being aggressive to the chicks we took them as they hatched. The 8 keets did well. Hen continued to sit on the nest and even laid more eggs. Had 24 eggs in the nest. Keets got big enough to go into the coop and two days after the keets went into the coop, hen abandoned the nest. It had 16 eggs left in the nest (she ate the missing eggs).

I put the eggs into our incubator (first time using it). I have no idea how old the eggs are. I've never candled eggs before...from what I can see...two of them looks almost solid, several look fertilized but not far along and one or two look unfertilized. I've looked for photos to try and determine the age and development of the eggs, but can't find any really good photos that don't require knowing the age of the eggs.

Any ideas how I can determine if these eggs have a chance and how old they may be?

Our Guinea hen laid 27 eggs and then got broody. After she got broody she laid more eggs, ate some of them, kept some. Ten of the eggs hatched, we lost 2 of the keets, one of which the hen killed by pecking it to death. Since she was being aggressive to the chicks we took them as they hatched. The 8 keets did well. Hen continued to sit on the nest and even laid more eggs. Had 24 eggs in the nest. Keets got big enough to go into the coop and two days after the keets went into the coop, hen abandoned the nest. It had 16 eggs left in the nest (she ate the missing eggs).

I put the eggs into our incubator (first time using it). I have no idea how old the eggs are. I've never candled eggs before...from what I can see...two of them looks almost solid, several look fertilized but not far along and one or two look unfertilized. I've looked for photos to try and determine the age and development of the eggs, but can't find any really good photos that don't require knowing the age of the eggs.

Any ideas how I can determine if these eggs have a chance and how old they may be?
I have never hatched or incubated eggs maybe @sourland @black_cat @Ridgerunner can help you

I don't have a guinea egg chart for you, but if eggs are near hatching, they will look very dark aside from an aircell on the fat end. Post candling pics in a dark room with a bright flashlight-don't use the flash on your phone or camera to take pics.

Back
Top Bottom