abcess on my turkey

trevandtrudy

Hatching
Nov 10, 2015
yorkshire, england
Hello. I have a 6 year old broad bres ted white tom turkey, I noticed a few months ago he had a really swollen hock (knee) I called the vet out and put it down to athritus due to his age and size. But today ive cleaned his legs to get the poop off him t9 find the joint was looking very yellowy and full of puss which I squeezed out. I put an anti biotic spray onto it aftwrwards then topped it off with barrier cream to stop anything getting into the wound. I'd like to know if anyone else had experienced this. I know he's quite old but I'm prepared to try anything. He's so good and just let's me clean his legs and apply cream. I also give him a daily dose of anti inflammatory to keep him comfortable. Any advice to aid his recovery would be great.

The only advice I can give is that if it's an abscess then you shouldn't seal it. Abscesses need to remain clean and open to allow natural draining or you'll forever be battling infection. Keep him in clean area and change bedding to keep it clean as often as needed. After cleaning it, apply a triple antibiotic ointment such as Neosporine or a wound spray to help fight off bacteria as it heals. Reapply as needed.

Just don't dress it with bandages or cover it with a salve that would prevent air (oxygen) from entering. Oxygen also promotes healing.

Back
Top Bottom