Abnormal beard/muff on russian orloff

That doesn’t look all that normal to me, definitely looks like an abscess or tumor.
I’m not sure this helps, but this is my EEs muff/beard, very fluffy. Might help in comparing them, because I definitely see a difference.View attachment 2866284
It definitely looks a lot different, but upon further investigation and a physical examination it really just feels like some loose skin. I think she’s essentially got a little double chin and an impressive set of beard feathers working together to make her face look huge. Thank you for the pics to compare her to though!

Is it an actual lump or just feathers?
So I got a closer look/feel at it, and it definitely is like a pouch of skin along the front of her chin & neck, but its not hard or lumpy or fluid filled so I’m inclined to think it’s just a harmless quirk.

Like a dewlap? Interesting. I know that guineas have a flap of skin under their beaks, but I haven't seen much of one on any chickens.
She's a pretty girl, by the way. Very fluffy.
I did have to google to see exactly what you meant, but that’s exactly what it is! Whether or not she’s supposed to have it, it doesn’t seem to be causing her any issues so I think it’s fine!

I think this is essentially exactly what it is thankfully!! I finally got the chance to grab her and test out all of y’alls suggestions, and its not just feathers on her face it is definitely like a large flap of skin (like a pouch) along her chin and throat, but it didn’t feel fluid filled or lumpy or anything. Just a swingy little pouch. And she wasn’t bothered or hurt by me touching it so I think she’s probably fine and she essentially just has a double chin lol. Thank you for your answers though!!
Like this? This is a hen who plucked off her own beard and this was revealed to the world. It’s essentially just a flap.
710914FA-AC01-40E2-B1E2-1E07BBFAE76F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom