? about bleeding an stitches.

Jennyhaschicks

Songster
11 Years
May 3, 2008
Maine
Short story- my brother in laws dog chased my chickens in the pig pen and the pigs killed my little 21 week old WL pullet. I tried to save the chicken and got into the pig pen. I noticed blood on the back of my heal and have a cut. I'm not sure if it needs stitches, but it's been bleeding for 3 hours now. Not a ton of blood, but enough so I have to change the bandage every 20 minutes or so.
I was hoping someone here might be able to offer some info?
Please?

soap and water, clean it very good if you haven't already, bandage and apply pressure. you can apply a cold compress to help stop the bleeding. you might want to consider going to doc. stay off the foot, and please watch for infection. only a doctor can tell you for sure if you need sitches.
smile.png

Clean it real good, dry your foot off while applying preasure to stop the bleeding and then lay a nice bead of crazy glue (Ie: Dermabond) over the cut and let it dry. (add glitter if you wish)
lol.png
<= edit to add that I am kidding about the glitter.

How well it works depends on what type of cut it is, (laceration of incision) where it is, (flexiable or not) and how well you can apply preasure to stop the bleeding.

Don't laugh, this is well recieved in the medical field and they even have thier own "brand" of glue. However, due to flex, it is not suggested for hands or feet. (And other obvious places). Give it a try, you have little to loose and a lot to gain in money and time.
wink.png

Let us know how well it works!

Last edited:
Clean very well with anti-bacterial soap and water. Bacitracin and clean, dry dressing. Elevate, rest and ice if necessary tonight. Change bandage as necessary. Tetanus shot if you're not updated. Bandage, socks and shoes until fully healed. Watch for infection and call your Doc if you see any redness or swelling.

Ouch! Good luck.

That is what I meant to say, I just wanted to toss in the medical brand name to make people feel better.

Standard off the shelf crazy glue is just fine to use and will save you a lot of money. Also, with a nice clean laceration, it will heal better, cleaner, and less likly to infect than stiches. Stiches can leave bumps and "stich tracks" long after the laceration has healed.

That's what I'd do. Clean it up really good, elevate the foot above heart level so the pressure isn't so great on the open ends of capilaries, apply pressure, and hope it stops. If it is really deep, update on tetanus is probably a good idea, I would avoid sealing it shut all the way if it is deep, because you don't want to seal in the bacteria.

Quote:
As parents of 5 boys, we feel that Krazy Glue is a valuable necessity in our first aid kit. Only place it hasn't worked is inside our 2nd son's top lip when he bit through it. Only after the third application in 10 minutes did we read on the container where it says to call poison control immediately if the substance gets in the mouth... we accidentally on purpose didn't tell the ER docs about the Krazy Glue when he was stitching up our son's lip!
roll.png
Luckily all the Krazy Glue chunks were immediately spat out when they failed to adhere to my son's inner mouth... no harm done!
big_smile.png

I's love to see the follow up

What did you do ?

Steri Strip kits are sold OTC--- heel no thought to a scar -

but are you offically part of the "Not Dead yet Club" who avoids infection ?

Took care of a lady who did the Super Glue - 3 hours after

sealed in all the gerns got good and infected -- She was in the hospital Septic ----

now my Pops has used every goofy cure you can think of - That is the "Not Dead Yet Club"

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom