? about deep liter

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by birdbrain2, Apr 13, 2009.

1. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    I just got chicks out in new coop. all the pine bedding from brooder went into compost pile. and after just a few weeks it has all turned dark brown and is turning to ash from the heat. so will the bedding in coop look like that after a year of deep liter collecting and decomposing in coop? will this method create unwanted heat in the summer?

2. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    If you keep the litter on the floor of the coop from getting wet, you should not have a problem. I use the deep litter method and the majority of the poo is pretty dry before I cover it with more litter. I cover it once or twice a week. Mine doesn't get hot at all. In really humid environments, I suppose it could be a concern? But I've not experienced that.

Penny

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It's not turning to ash... it might be getting moldy and you're seeing mycelia and/or spores.

Remember that how much compost heats up depends on how thick it is; you will presumably not have a meter-deep layer in the coop [​IMG]

Really, just play it by ear and see what happens, adjust your management accordingly, you'll figure out what works for your particular situation [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by