About guinea eggs

bayvistafarm

Songster
8 Years
Jan 23, 2012
Hamilton Ontario Canada
I found a guinea egg with my guinea's. Its Feb. as you all know.. but cold and snowy. I have 2 hens and 3 males. They were hatched out July 1st 2011. (they started laying last November, but quit when it got colder). I opened the egg, and saw NO little dot, or the white squiggly thing that is normally in a hen egg. Is this normal? I would like to put some in the incubator I am getting soon. I am totally new with guinea's and incubation. Thanks.

Last edited:
It's normal for the first eggs of the season to be odd in one way or another, shape, size, no yolk, no shell etc, especially from young Hens. Sometimes it takes them a few tries before their reproductive systems are in sync and they lay perfect eggs. Keep checking the eggs (cracking them open), and when you see normal fertile eggs with a bullseye, then I'd start collecting for incubating.

I try not to store collected eggs past the 10 day mark of the oldest egg, but sometimes you can get away with 14-16 days. I collect eggs at least twice a day (don't let them get too cold, for too long if your outside temps are low), mark the date on them, put them in paper egg cartons, keep them in a cool (55-60 degrees) dark place (like a closet, in an unheated bedroom) and turn/tilt them at least once a day (I usually elevate one end of the cartons up on a book or 2, then alternate the ends when I bring in fresh collected eggs). Let them come to room temp for several hours before setting them.

Also, the Hens should have free choice to a layer feed and oyster shell.

What kind of incubator did you get?

Many thanks!! I haven't received the incubator yet, but I have paid for it, so it should be coming. I read up here, that Brinsea seemed to be the best one to get, so I went ahead and ordered an Advance 20 w/turning cradle.. and a candler. I hope I have good luck with it. The man I just got my palm turkeys from said he didn't like incubators, and that they were a waste of money. OF COURSE HE SAID THAT IN FRONT OF MY HUSBAND, who had to bring that up, before I sent payment. So... with that niggling in his head, and if I have rotten luck with it.. I am sure I will be bestowed with negative comments, lol.

Brinseas are good, and the Advanced models with all the bells and whistles are especially nice/easy/convenient. I know lots of people that use them for hatching Guinea eggs and get great hatch rates. (So your hubby may be eatin' some crow if he starts in with the negative comments too soon, lol). As soon as your Hens are laying well, I bet you'll be hatching a batch of keets every 26-28 days and you will become another hopeless hatching addict like the rest of us, lol.

Congrats on the incubator, and good luck with your hatch when you finally get to set some eggs!

Back
Top Bottom