About how much feed do chickens go through in one week?

I have 12 RIR and i buy 50 lbs of layer mash every 2 weeks, Ialso buy 50 lbs of scratch, and a bale of hay a month. my ladies get layer mash in the morning and scratch in the afternoon and a slice of hay once a week, any fruit or bread we have left over they also get but I'm very particular what else they eat.I bought 50 lbs of mash yesterday and almost went into shock, it has gone up to $10.50 since i bought them in April.

I have 25 hens and 6 roosters, I don't feed them at all during spring/summer/fall months, except for occasional table scraps. They do great free ranging on 5 acres with some fruit trees. I haven't had them through winter months as of yet though so not sure what to expect there.

During the winter when the flock can't free range, I go through 100lbs of layer mash per month for 14 hens. During the summer when the birds would rather eat live feed that they find, I prolly only go through 50lbs in 6 weeks. They are always fed free choice as much as they care for.

bigzio
This is right about what my experience is with 13 chickens. When I first got them and kept them cooped (till they got used to their new home) the hens and roo went through about that same ratio. Now as they are free-ranging I offer pellets and scratch grains free-choice and they go through about the same amount as noted above...50lbs feed overall lasts more than a month.

That total amount will change with the additional birds I just brought home...but the ratio (lbs of feed per "x" #birds) should stay the same, I expect.

So when the mflock is a mix of babies, bantys, large breed and small you just need to sit and do the math on the quantity. How about when you are using scratch as well as the crumbles or pellets? How often do you give the scratch or is there something better? We have noticed this month we are having some birds feel a little too light and I want to get things more balanced before things cool off any more than it is now.

Sarah Sharrett

Hi All,

This is a great thread. I am new still to all of this. I have 3 pullets. I have a feeder with the feed available all of the time. Is that correct or should you just give them some in the morning etc... They have a small enclosed run so I supplement with goodies (worms I find, some table scraps, etc...) to keep them occupied. But my main question is the feed in the feeder. Available all day or should I be just giving them some in the morning etc...?

Thx Eric

Hi all,

Yet another question. My pullets seem to be doing great. I have egg layer pellets available all day for them and suppliment with some grass, worms, stuff I find in the yard. A little scratch for treats and meal worms too. Not a lot of those things. But, my question is, it doesn't seem like they are eating the pellets much at all. I put plenty in the covered feeder when I got them a week ago and there is still plenty left. Should I not be giving them any treats to get them used to eating the pellets? Any suggestions or advice is welcomed!!

Thanks
Eric

Back
Top Bottom