About me ... and what I am looking for ...

JusRicFarm

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 30, 2012
I have been a Pigeon Breeder for many years, and recalled my parents having a few yardies when I was kid, and so started keeping a few chickens from around this time last year, actually to the day.

Started out with a couple of common yardies, but then got some Rhode Island Hybrid sex-linked Layers in February, they are THE only chicks for sale from the local hatcheries here in Barbados, except some White Leghorn Layers. Others is all commercial - Broilers & Layers.

Like my pigeons, I keep no prisoners (unless in sick bay or for special reason) so all my birds are free.

However, since most of our Fancy and other Large Fowl chicken breeds have died out - still a few bantams around and of course some Game breeds, as there is still a bit of that 'sport' around, although illegal - and so it has been difficult to source hatching eggs in small quantities, since live chicks would require a lot more red tape, and so I am interested in being able to ship a small number of mixed breeds here to start with and see who it goes from there.

My breeds of interest are as follows:

Plymouth Rock Barred
Black Jersey Giants
Marans (for their very dark brown eggs)
Ameraucana (for their Green/Blue eggs ... EE's, I think they are called)

I have one yardie hen that got from a few days old and raise her myself and she has turned to what look like a Sumatra (or mostly of the blood line), she certain looks like one, is very vocal, loud and raucous, flies well and I tried her with a couple of day-old chicks the first time she laid and immediately went broody (even in an empty nest) and she was VERY protective, etc. She's nearing the end of her second brood period which she will go well pass the 21 days if I don't give a chick or isolate here, so I would like to time getting about a dozen mixed eggs maybe the next time she starts her brood cycle or early in the new year.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
David / JusRicFarms

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I'm interested in shipping eggs abroad myself, but I learned that some countries are very "difficult" about importing things like eggs. I'd suggest you do some research and see how difficult it would be in your case and then approach a seller who has the breeds you are interested in. We have quite a few members here who sells hatchings eggs. You will find their ads here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/36/chicken-hatching-eggs

Please note you'll need 20+ posts before you'll be allowed to post an ad yourself. Best of luck with your quest!

I don't think we have a problem with importing eggs, but more so with live chicks as they could more easily bring disease with them and that would threaten out own local chicken industry for obvious reasons. However, I do intended to ask about what is needed for eggs from the relevant Veterinary Dept. under the Ministry of Agriculture here, so I will know more shortly, but was just sounding out things here as some of the suppliers I get my Pigeons supplies from in the USA and who sell hatching eggs yet don't export.

So I will check around some more this weekend and get the official word next week, and get back to you all.

Thanks.

I don't think we have a problem with importing eggs, but more so with live chicks as they could more easily bring disease with them and that would threaten out own local chicken industry for obvious reasons. However, I do intended to ask about what is needed for eggs from the relevant Veterinary Dept. under the Ministry of Agriculture here, so I will know more shortly, but was just sounding out things here as some of the suppliers I get my Pigeons supplies from in the USA and who sell hatching eggs yet don't export.

So I will check around some more this weekend and get the official word next week, and get back to you all.

Thanks.
When I enquired about importing and exporting eggs I was told that eggs laid by sick hens carry the disease too, that is why Agri is careful about eggs as well. I hope you will get the go-ahead soon and will be able to import the breeds you want
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom