About My Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WildDoeDeer, Dec 3, 2014.

1. WildDoeDeer

WildDoeDeer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2014
    I have only two chickens a Buff orphington and a Aracana. I have raised them by hand since they where still egg shaped. they lived in a plastic tub in my dining room with a heating lamp and a little pipe perch. they loved it when i took them out and cuddled them, they would fall asleep in my arms/lap and loved to also peck my arm freckles. not long after I realized my Aracana and Buff were missing out of there tub, I ran around my house and found them playing in my dogs food and water, that's when I put the wire top on there bin the chicks still tried to squeeze through the wire but failed. after 2 months I set up my old plastic dog pen in my open garden house. I put a flat piece of cardboard on the ground in the pen then covered it up with soft shavings. they nested on the bamboo perch I had set up for them. I every once in a while I would let them out into my yard but I would have to watch them. now the live in a home made run made out of left of metal pipes and green wire, with some wood planks holding up there 3 foot coop, in the coop is a 2 foot perch and a small dog kennel for them to lay, they have a food dish hanging from the roof to eat at night, they have a light that turns off at 12:00 at night and comes on at 4:00 (when it gets dark). they have a small room under the coop where they have the big food and water dish. that's also where I let them out. they have a perch in there run not even a inch off the ground but something to roost on. we have a one acre backyard that I let them roam freely in and I own a 3-4 acre property. I rarely let them in the front yard (its a treat) I give them Oatmeal, bird seed, corn, walnuts, etc. the Aracana lays green blue eggs and the Buff lays light crystal brown.
    I hope you enjoyed learning about my chickens hope to hear your ideas <3

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Awww! Cute ideas!

1 person likes this.
  3. WildDoeDeer

WildDoeDeer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2014
    thanks, still every morning I go outside to sit in my garden house the jump up in my lap and go under my shirt and fall asleep

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Make sure they are getting at least 8 full hours of complete darkness for good health and just to stay alive. Any less darkness and it can kill them. Sounds like you really do love your babies!! I hope they continue to bring you great joy. Welcome to our flock!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. We have some Buff Orpingtons and Easter Eggers (true Araucanas have tailess rumps) in our flock and love them. The Buff Orpingtons are very friendly, calm, and gentle birds. My children, and now my granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) made lap pets of them. Our Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's favorite hens. She loves the colored eggs that they lay. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. Ashley Stroud

Ashley Stroud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    Welcome! Your babies sound very loved!
    Sometimes I am just overwhelmed by the love I have for, and get from, my chickens! And this is just the place for that! :D

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Amen

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by