? About Salmon Faverolle Coloring-UPDATED W/ PICS

Sorry I disagree with you Tim on the dark feathers....it is genetics. I would have classify them as Sport Faverolles with some black tips or tints in their feathers. Hatchery Faverolles are not the greatest specimens or example of the breed.

I got that information from Dick Boulanger, the pres of Faverolle Club at that time when I questioned him about those kind of Faverolles with 'odd" colors. He suggested that we dont breed them if we want true Salmon Faverolles but for backyard, not a problem.

If the Faverolles get darker and got RIR coloring to them, then they would be Mahogany Faverolles which Sandhill Preservation has those.

Thanks for all of the input! It's been a huge help. I'm sure they aren't the greatest specimans coming from Ideal. Now that we're sure it's 2 hens they'll just be used for eggs. The 2 roos I'm keeping are a brahma and cochin, so they won't be purebreds if there are chicks.

Sonja

Quote:
Both of my bantam Fav ladies crow on occasion. One of them lays and REALLY sounds like a rooster, while the other one, at over a year old, has never laid and has a really large comb for a hen (but she's definitely a "she"). She just goes "ack-ACK!" like she's getting run over by a bicycle.

Demon hens...
sickbyc.gif

But I love them both so
love.gif

-Naomi

Nadine,

I've only hatched two Faverolles cockerels (both bantams). The first one hatched with a pullet and he was very good to her. When he was big enough to contend with the bigger birds, he became her protector. She was overly-passive and if the other hens pecked her, he'd give 'em a good peck back. When he turned about 5 months old, his gentlemanly ways became evident. He was a wonderful boy and I was devastated when he died on New Year's Day, when he wasn't even 6 months old.

The second cockerel was a singleton. Singletons always end up with a warped personality (sometimes it's not a bad thing) and like your guy, he was a total wuss around the other chickens. For the first three weeks after putting him outside he did nothing but pace back and forth at the back door, waiting to be let back in. If another chicken came within 10 feet, he'd shout out a loud, surprised "PEEP!" and run off. I felt that he was hopeless and had a better chance at a "normal" chicken life with my friend, who happened to have just one Faverolles bantam hen, all alone in her own pen.

I imagine if I kept him, he probably would have assimilated, sooner or later, once he realized that he was a chicken and not human. Just wait it out a bit... I think at about 5 months of age is when they start to mature and begin to act like roosters are supposed to act. Maybe the girls are picking on your poor guy
lau.gif

-Naomi

this may be an older thread.....but I learned! I know that the sweet Faverolles I bought from someone are basically--um--scrubs. (not standard.) they are healthy but they have lots of black in beard and feathers.
roll.png
BTY_ the folks never professed to have show quality so I am not bashing them. It's just that I now know better!

I have never had Faverolles hens with black feathers, until last year. Now, I have a couple of Faverolles hens from Ideal with black hackle feathers, mostly in the front, along with some black on the bottom edge of their beards. Another one has a totally dark breast. It looked like a solid black breast when she was a younger pullet, but by a year old, it looked more like a really dark brown. Like dark chocolate. There is cream colored fluff underneath the breast feathers, now, also. One of them has normal salmon Faverolles coloring and she also has the largest beard and muffs.

Two of them also had a few black feathers in their breasts and one had some black, white and orange feathers on her back and sides, as half grown pullets. These have mostly disappeared, now that they are adults.

It's hard to say what you will get with hatchery chicks.
Hoping this is the case for Peanut. Skeptical, though.

Attachments

• 20240411_080400.jpg
    20240411_080400.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom