ABOUT THE NC OUTBREAK

As a community, everyone should be working together to identify the source of the problem. That includes working very closely with state officials to inform them of anywhere you may have been to obtain stock, people you received birds from and anywhere you may have sent birds/eggs, etc. This enables them to track it back to the source and also notify others of potential risks to their farm so they can take action to stop the spread of any illness. I don't think anyone should feel ashamed or hurt by other's concerns. I hope everything gets resolved quickly for anyone affected by this and hope we can continue to keep folks informed on the board as well, in a meaningful manner.

Jody

What's going on? Whose birds are quarantined? Pretty strong words Jim. The people who come to my farm never see a bird. I take biosecurity very seriously.

Some clips from the other emails I recieved. The guy I got my birds from send out a string of emails anything happens

This spreads extremely easily. If you are anywhere near this area or
know anyone going that way, please, make sure they are as careful as
possible. Avoid auctions and shows around that area. Don't let
anyone on your property that has been around poultry and avoid other
people's birds in the area is best.

Any flock in NC with it will be quarenteened and destroyed. This is
because NC has a large amount of production bird houses and
companies. From what I have read survivors can be carriers for almost
3 months from the last sign of any illness. That is why most/all
shows have the rule that no bird can be shown that has been vaccinated
for ILT can be shown for 90 days.

For specific details see:
http://www.merckvet manual.com/ mvm/index. jsp?cfile= htm/bc/206700. htm

Quote:
yup they are strong,,,kinda,,, but it takes strong words to get people to understand, that things that you do, that could put me and mine in danger, will be dealt with in a strong manner. i have NO tolerance when people are messing with my family, or my friends, or any of our extended family( pets).
all of my birds,kids, friends are treated like they are my children, and i WILL protect them,, by ANY means
wink.png

Hi, Everybody
frow.gif

I read the post. I know how it can be when your flock gets sick and you don’t know what is going on. We had this happen to us a couple of years ago. We went to a swap and came home with some new chickens and at the time we did not know the chickens where caring a respiratory disease we lost almost 400 chickens. It happens. Remember when you go to a swap, fair or show and buy something quarantine the chickens for 30 days or we quarantine ours for ten and treat the water with Gallimycin. Since we have been doing this we haven’t had any problems. I would recommend if you have a problem with your flock contact Peter Brown he is a State Vet and he is known as The Chicken Doctor. Here is his web site http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/ . If you have a chronic respiratory disease I would recommend Gallimycin & Tylan. I hope everything works out Kelly
thumbsup.gif

Terry

P.S. If you live close to Turkey House you can contract disease from them!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom