About to get started -Question: Wood preserver and/or Paint in the UK?

LuthersBoots

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Hi all, this is my first post to the forum that I have spent months looking at.
I have two chickens in a temporary enclosure that DESPERATELY needs upgrading so I have decided to build them a new home.
I wanted to do it right and I have been learning as much as I can from this forum and other designed e.t.c.
I learned Sketchup over the past few days and knocked up a design that I am happy with. Really happy with, this program really gives you great idea of what the end product will look like and it has also shown me some design faults before commencement. (First image is meant to be of the finished article but i have already made changes as you can see in the second image)
I'll be posting construction images as I go along.

Anyways...I am about to start cutting my 2"x2"s and 4"x2"s into the sizes required and I want to know what is the best way to treat it???
I want to paint the ENTIRE Coup...top to bottom...I DONT want to stain and let the natural timer (Pine/Firn) show through.

Question is...should I seal it with some sealer (Anyone know what is the best in the UK) and then paint?

Or should i just prime and paint, all of the timber...ends and all. I have heard emulsion (latex) is best.

I hope someone can assist. Kind regards
Luthers Boots

Never been to your side of this rock but understand moisture is the issue. If you were building here, under the same conditions, I would suggest the base be all weather wood for ground contact which has a 30 year warranty against rot but you have to buy the same preservative in a can to paint on all cuts you make in the lumber. The rest of the lumber can be regular diamentional lumber then paint the whole thing including inside the coop and it's floor with outdoor rated paint. Hope this helps

Post us some photos when you build
pop.gif

Cheers for the reply. Happy to got with the all weather wood, but I dont know where to get the other stuff to seal the ends when I cut them.
I'll look into it.
I guess I could always seal the timber base as best as possible and replace it if it rots? It's only a small part of the total frame in terms of expense.
So I can just go ahead and prime and paint ALL other parts in exterior paint?
LB

Will post the pics

Last edited:
hello luthersBoots
i come from England
the best i have found is creosote the real stuff. it is hard to find but if you cannot
find any then mix 1/2 of diesel and half of old engine oil that has worked for me.
you can mix it to your specification. i.e if yo want it more runny put less engine oil
and visa versa. it has to be old engine oil
then paint with an outdoor wood paint
hope this helps

Don't know if I'm doing it right, but we are going to cut the wood for the coop, paint it with two coats of an opaque deck/fence sealant, piece it together and then do a third coat. not sure what kind of stuff they have avaliable in the uk but i would assume any barn or fence paint made for outdoor wood should seal and be durable enough.

Back
Top Bottom