About to have my first chickens! :)

ParticulaNaranja

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2021
Hi! I was recommended this community because I'm starting to prepare to have my first chickens. I've always loved them and I enjoy watching them so much and can't wait to have them in my own backyard.

I'm thinking to get 3 laying hens, I'll get them as chickens and I will take care of them with my 2yo toddler. I'm really just starting to learn and I think I'm going with a card box breeder and I'm building a pvc coop with my dad. I wanted to do a deep litter but I don't have a compost and I dont have much time to be waiting months, so I think we'll be using sand (specifically from the beach, in my country you always see chickens in the beach, they seem to love it so much).

I'm scared of cats because they enter my property to sleep. I actually never see them in person but in cameras I've seen 7 at the same time! But we are building the coop with that in mind, I live in a residential zone so that's the only predator...

About food I've seen there's controversy. I wanted to give them natural food but I've read now laying hens have specific needs and its better to give them just the food you buy? I havent decide yet.

Any advice or something else I should know?

Last edited:
Sounds like you're already doing great, thinking of all these things ahead of time. Get the coop ready before you get chicks if possible. They outgrow that cardboard box FAST.

I give my hens layer feed as an option, but they also get plenty of access to "natural foods" as you put it. In the summer, especially, they eat a lot of plants and bugs and kitchen scraps, but they still eat layer pellets too.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
When you build your coop and run, remember that they will require 4 sq ft per bird in the coop and at least 12 in the run. Put lots of things to perch on, fly up on and scratch around in the run. I would also put a solid roof on it and make sure it's on high ground so it doesn't end up in standing water.
I prefer wood chips in the run as they slowly decompose, drain well and make a fine substrate for scratching and dust bathing in.

Back
Top Bottom