About to lay?

Update: Both girls have been checking out the nesting boxes before they roost. I now have 4 ceramic eggs but, only two are being used right now When they go in the nesting boxes at night both peck lightly at the eggs checking them out.Both lay down for a for a little near the egg, One of the girls even laid down on the egg! 2 or 3 times since I've started this thread one or both leghorns have went into the coop in the afternoon.Once they go in the coop almost right away I hear a loud Bwaking noise but not ,"bukbukbukbukbuk BAGAW!!" One of my roosters has been courting and mounting them for quite awhile now.

It sounds like bocbocbocbocbocboc BAGAWWW.
Google egg song video.

If you are free ranging, they may have laid out in the range area.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests.  Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it...at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I'll check out a video,aart!
263a.png
They do free range and I've searched the whole yard for eggs except very weedy area the is probably a great place to lay (for them). As I mentioned above in the update we have ceramic eggs and they do lay down in the nesting boxes.About leaving them in the coop...well... they wouldn't be to happy neither would one of my rooster or their flock (I have 3 different flocks).

Yesterday one layed and egg! It took about an hour. I waited around 20-30 mins and she finally made the egg song, waited about another 20 mi uses and she came out. Went in the coop to find this!

There's blood on it, is that normal?
The other girly has been in and out the the coop all day making the egg song before she leaves.
After she got out of the coop the first time I looked in the nesting boxes, no eggs, then around in the coop, no eggs.
Normal or has she broken and egg inside her or something?

A little blood is not unusual, as long as it's not frequent or a large quantity it shouldn't be a problem.

They won't all lay every day... or some will, then not.
Inconsistency is the rule..haha!

A little blood is not unusual, as long as it's not frequent or a large quantity it shouldn't be a problem.

They won't all lay every day... or some will, then not.
Inconsistency is the rule..haha!
ok good I was thinking something was wrong because there was blood.
Was that second part for the other girl not laying but singing the egg song)

She's looking for a place to lay. 2 of my girls did the same thing. One laid the next day and the other laid 2 days after. Do you have fake eggs or golf balls in the nest boxes? GC

They can sit and sing and sit and sing.....without laying.....drives ya nuts!
I've got one fooling around out there today, tearing up the nests, sat for awhile putting straw on her back....no egg yet.

She's looking for a place to lay. 2 of my girls did the same thing. One laid the next day and the other laid 2 days after. Do you have fake eggs or golf balls in the nest boxes? GC
Ok, and ceramic eggs.

They can sit and sing and sit and sing.....without laying.....drives ya nuts!
I've got one fooling around out there today, tearing up the nests, sat for awhile putting straw on her back....no egg yet.

Alright, hope ya get an egg soon!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom