about to set 10 silkie eggs tonight....i need a hatching buddy

I'm not sure what a hatching buddy is but I am up for it! I set 8 eggs in my incubator today. Have some mixed breed (Barred Rock/Buff Orpington, Australorp/Buff Orpington, and Ameracauna/Buff Orpington) and some pure Buff Orpington. Not sure how well it will work. My rooster got killed by a predator a week ago today. From what I have researched hens can lay fertile eggs up to two weeks after the rooster is gone. Guess this will be a good experiment.

That was good! And thanks...we were really sad to loose him. Him was such a great rooster! I had always heard horror stories about aggressive roosters chasing people and was worried about even having one, but he was a good guy. He wasn't exactly friendly to us and he would talk at us the whole time we were watering and feeding, but he was not aggressive. Hopefully these will have his great temperament!

Hi! I hope they all grow for you.
I'm (as usual) running late. I just got finished filling up the incubators --- scared to count 'how many' eggs I actually set.
Good luck everybody!
smile.png

Lisa

so far im not doing good, my dog got into the room and licked and spread all the silkie eggs around the room shaking them up. then i recived my americauna eggs in poor condtion (loose air cells, few cracks, and i think they shipped me a double yoker?) ill post pics later and see if you all think is a double yoker. and some of my americauna eggs started to develop while in shippment. and to top it all off my brother was walking and hit the incubator sending the eggs everywhere right after i set them up! i dont think they will hatch anymore but ill still try and candle them on the 7th because of the dark eggs
hmm.png

Quote:
I wouldn't lose hope. There have been people who's hatches had everything go wrong and still had a decent hatch rate and others where everything went like clockwork and nothing hatched.

Personally since I am such a horrible candler, before day 18 I am only going to throw out any stinkers and leakers. On day 18, I'll candle and then throw out any clear and early quiters. After that I'll just
fl.gif

Last edited:
Candled my eggs tonight to see if there were any viable. I was able to get some more eggs yesterday bc I thought these weren't working. Well to my surprise 5 out of the 8 were moving inside the egg! So those 5 went back in the incubator and I tossed the other 3. Hoping they continue to grow. We set 6 eggs under a broody hen yesterday. Never tried that method before so we will see how good a mommy she can be. How are everyone's eggs doing?

Back
Top Bottom