About to stop keeping chickens because of my father.... *RANT*

My dad is like this. He makes stupid comments like this ALL THE TIME. My dad is self employed and some months we'll get a paycheck of between $10,000 and $30,000, other months, we'll get maybe $2000. In those months where we get little money we sometimes have to go without groceries/shopping (we usually eat the extra eggs and try and make the food stretch, I can do a lot of shopping with $100!). Sometimes we are also forced to live off credit cards due to his employment. It's always the case that during these months one of the animals will run out of feed, usually it's the chickens because it's almost always a bad weather month so they aren't out as often. This month will be like this, the chickens are down to a half a bag of feed and we have no money until MAYBE next week depending. Last time it was the goats, they had feed, but no hay.

My dad makes stupid comments like "Well get rid of the goats/chickens/horses/cat/dogs" or "They'll just have to starve, whats more important the animals or you?" (truthfully, the animals because they'll be making us food soon enough) and sometimes it gets worse, and quite rude/violent like your dad.

With my dad, he just doesn't think or care. He doesn't believe he should have to do any work or help with the animals since he makes the money (my mum is a dog breeder, she only gets money once a year and I don't work... no jobs here and my transportation costs too much, f-150's really guzzle gas lol). My dad grew up in a single parent household in England (his dad died when he was 12 or 13) and my Mam (gramma) did everything for him and his brother which I think adds to the problem. It's so frustrating trying to reason with him that I've just given up. If we're in a tight month, we'll put animal feed on credit cards and hope we can pay it off. We've had to live like this for years and this year we're hoping to get everything paid down. It's not easy though.

Anyway.. hope I helped some. Probably didn't though LOL.

Quote:
Actually it might make the situation worse. If your dad is not really angry about the birds but is upset with something else, then he might feel guilty. Talk to him. He is your dad after all. It might be one of the best moments in your relationship together. He might just open up to you. Ask him if something is on his mind. Tell him that you don't think that it is the birds at all but that you love him and want to help him, even if it is only to be a listening ear.

Back
Top Bottom