About to try hatching Muscovies

JaeG

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Sep 29, 2014
New Zealand
We are very excited to be getting some Muscovy hatching eggs later this week. They are coming by courier and should be here in a couple of days.

I've got all the information I need about the incubation process but I had a couple of other questions.

1: how much protein is too much (and would cause Angel Wing)? I've read conflicting amounts. In New Zealand poultry feeds are limited but there is a company that makes a Meatbird Crumble as that is recommended for ducks, turkey, pheasants, quail from hatch right up to adulthood (though for adult ducks it says to add grain). It is 20% Crude protein.

2: I have written to ask the company if the feed contains sufficient niacin for growing ducklings (still waiting to hear back) because the bag just states 'vitamins and minerals'. If I do need to give them more niacin how much brewer's yeast would I need for them? I'm getting half a dozen eggs so at worst I'd have 6 babies, not likely I realise and I'm definitely hoping for less as they will have to be inside for awhile as it is autumn here. It's just that brewer's yeast is expensive here and not that easy to find, so if I have a rough idea of how much that would help. And how long do you need to provide them with additional niacin?

That's all the questions I have for now but I'm sure I'll be back for more advice. :thumbsup

I've always raised mine on non medicated chick starter. You could also use Purina flock raiser, or something similar. I've only had one develop angel wing. It was from a purchased batch of eggs, and wasn't from my hens, which leads me to believe it's more genetic like I read about.

If the meat bird crumble company doesn’t get back to you, I’d add the brewers yeast. I used Purina Flock Raiser but went ahead and added yeast anyway. And if you’re worried about too much protein you can cut the food with rolled oats to help cut how much protein they’re getting.

I did hear back from the feed company and it does have enough niacin in it but the lady who contacted me did say if we are supplementing with anything else then it's best to top them up. My Dad managed to find me some Brewers Yeast that didn't cost the earth so I have that on hand now. So I'm all set.

Thanks to you both.

Back
Top Bottom