? about using natural roosts. IE tree branches.

Tigertrea

Songster
7 Years
Feb 10, 2012
LaSalle Ontario Canada
OK, so I've seen that using 2X4's with the wide side up is "ideal" for them to roost flat footed. I like the idea of using tree limbs as roosts though, They seem to enjoy the temporary one I have in the coop and the one in the run. They don't roost at night yet but, they nap and rest on them.

My question is how large in diameter "should" the tree limbs be? The ones I have right now range from 3.5-2" across. Large enough? Should I keep searching for larger?

I used 2x4's in our coop because it gets very cold in the winter and having the flat roost allows them to sit on their feet...avoiding potential frost bite on little toes.
We do have a branch in the run for them though which is probably 3 inches in diameter.

I think that is large enough. It also provides them with a choice of diameter for their own comfort. I use branches of varying diameter too, although their positioning is more based on their neighbours that on comfort!

We also use branches for a roost. Mine are between 2 and 4". I found my girls would not use the 2x4's in the coop but were using the tree branches in the run. I also looked closely and realized that on a minimum 2.5" diameter most of my girls had their toes covered when they settled. I think the idea is do what works and if you and they are happy then it is the right thing!!

I have 2x4's in the coop but I used tree branches in their run. They do love the branches.

We have branches in the coop and run and they love them. About 2.5"-4" round.... Just make sure they are secure and don't spin
smile.png

Joe G. I like how you have 2 smaller ones together also. I may try that if they don't seem to like the thinner one I have. Or I'll just have hubby cut down another tree (We've got 2 or 3 that need to go anyway lol)

Back
Top Bottom