? about using natural roosts. IE tree branches.

Tigertrea

Songster
7 Years
Feb 10, 2012
LaSalle Ontario Canada
OK, so I've seen that using 2X4's with the wide side up is "ideal" for them to roost flat footed. I like the idea of using tree limbs as roosts though, They seem to enjoy the temporary one I have in the coop and the one in the run. They don't roost at night yet but, they nap and rest on them.

My question is how large in diameter "should" the tree limbs be? The ones I have right now range from 3.5-2" across. Large enough? Should I keep searching for larger?

We also use branches for a roost. Mine are between 2 and 4". I found my girls would not use the 2x4's in the coop but were using the tree branches in the run. I also looked closely and realized that on a minimum 2.5" diameter most of my girls had their toes covered when they settled. I think the idea is do what works and if you and they are happy then it is the right thing!!

I used 2x4's in our coop because it gets very cold in the winter and having the flat roost allows them to sit on their feet...avoiding potential frost bite on little toes.
We do have a branch in the run for them though which is probably 3 inches in diameter.

I use Pine, I don't see why not. People use pine shavings all of the time, You may be thinking of Cedar.

Thank you, Joe, for your reply. I posted this same question in about 5 different "roost" threads, and you're the only one who responded. Now that you mention it, I think it was Cedar that everyone was warning against.

So, now I have a splendid natural roost - I think my birds will be pleased with it.
yippiechickie.gif

I used branches for a year and them took them out. Two reasons: over time they wore down the bark and the roosts became so slick they struggled to get their balance. Any slight squabble and someone would fall off only to start the whole process again.

Second reason, the branches weren't straight and so nobody wanted to sit on the section with the biggest dip/slant. I guess it is pretty uncomfortable to sit on a slant all night, especially after it got slick.

I changed to a board that is only 2.5 inches wide. It works fine, even for my giant barred rock rooster. Nobody is falling off the roost anymore!

I also notched mine where they screw on, Mine have been there a year b ark still on, and Mine are flat.

Joe, the bark was still on my branches, too. It appeared totally fine. But, after noticing all the drama at roosting time for awhile I finally went in there and ran my hand along the branch and that was when I realized it was worn smooth...and slick.

I should also note that the dip I spoke of was very minimal. The branches appeared nicely flat and straight to me, too (or else I wouldn't have used them). But, they sure noticed it and, when the roosts became slick they couldn't roost in that spot.

Back
Top Bottom