Above ground pool to in ground pond DIY

telandra2

Songster
Apr 29, 2021
Spokane, WA
I was going to post when I finished, but its raining again so I decided to do an in progress post. Note that I am a 53yr old single woman who has been a couch potato all winter. If I can do this so can you! Tools needed: shovel, pickaxe, scrap wood for levers and support, string, line level, tape measure, perservance, and a good attitude.

This began an experimental proof of concept before spending $1k on a pond liner, pond pump, etc. Not to mention electrial! For $150 (purchased in the winter) I got an above ground swimming pool and filter combo. FYI the lining is very thick -- more so than pond liners I have used in the past. I don't expect the filter to last, but it was free with the pool.

BestwayPool.jpg
The spot was chosen for my new pond. Making sure to have a view from inside.

20220106_084406.jpg

Spring has arrived and the great dig began. About 50% through I hit a rock. Much applied physics and scrap wood levers and support
later I moved it to the edge of the pond.

20220506_103746.jpg

The next day .... a boulder.
20220506_103800.jpg

That is not going anywhere, so I guess the liner is going to go above it. I may have to cut down one of the supporting legs.
About 4/5th done when it started raining again making the clay a mess. So here is the progress as of now. Depth is 24" -- determined by a layer of gravel about sand. The top of the pool is 30", leaving 6" to back fill the soil and perhaps put anti-duck mudpie making edging. I think I'll lay down cardboard for lining protector and some scrap batting on top of the pointy boulder bits. (Too bad its going to be covered by a liner. The natural rocks would be pretty in a pond.)

20220506_103717.jpg

20220506_103819.jpg

One of the inspectors checking out the lining. I assembled the top edge to help judge size and placement around the rocks. (I swear I have ducks -- they are off hunting worms.)

20220506_103839.jpg

Todays' view from the window.

20220506_104932.jpg

Phew! Timeline should be under a week. I dug until I got sick of digging. I took off 2 days after the first day because I felt sore. It rained yesterday and started up again today. And lots and lots of little 5 minute breaks without pushing myself. Clean up as you go because it gets a few more shovels than you intended.

Inspiring!!! How many ducks and geese do you have? I have the area around my pool [above ground sandpit conversion] heavily mulched and that prevents ducky mudpies. If you have an edge round yours to stop mulch falling into the pool, mulch maybe all you need. It will blend nicely with your environment.

Looking forward to the end of project update!

Update. Done except for some landscaping and tweaks. I was in the zone when installing so didn't take in progress pics.

20220512_103403.jpg

My results/impressions:
  • There were no installation instructions for the pool. Good thing I'm an expert at flatpack furniture assembly.
  • The legs were leaning. I blame the tiny clearance I had to work with but it must be a challenge to always adjust as the pool fills even when it is above ground.
  • The top isnt level due to the boulders but I think its close enough with the backfill. One leg is now a piece of wood.
  • The wooden boards are covering the filter and hoses.
  • The filter is teeny tiny. I have no idea how it'd keep a swimming pool clean. Most of the mud is from me missing when I was backfilling.
  • I hate the blue pebbles. May glue on some landscape fabric to darken it.
  • The guess watched it fill but were scared to get inside until I got the soil right to the edge of the pool. (The muddy black pan is there as a water lure.)
  • The gander approves and was all over the hens (3). The ducks (4 and 2 due to randy drake obessing on the 2 and making them run) haven't tried it yet.
  • The pallet pontoon is to help anything that gets in get out. The geese have trouble exiting as is and use their wings. Some sort of duck ladder is in the plans.
  • I'm thinking creeping jenny along the edges since it'll grow into the water. Any other landscape advice welcome. Its 26" deep so I think that is too much for bog plants.
  • I may use an old pond preform as a fish cave. Should have thought of that before filling it.
  • Next up... feeder goldfish to eat mosquito larvae and lure the ducks.
I don't think any of the flock or gaggle have had a chance to actually swim before, much less dive.

Tiny filter:
20220512_103453.jpg

Back
Top Bottom