Absorption taking too long?

We had some "accidental" bantam X duel purpose hidden hatches this year. I can't have roosters either. The daddy cock bird (cockerel at the time) the neighborhood knows I rescued from an on coming hurricane last year, so they have been lenient, but as soon as one of the cockerels crows, they will all have to become food. The cockerels are about the size of Cornish hens. We will see what happens as the cock birds will have to go then too.
If I read back through this thread will it help with humanly culling and dressing the birds out for freezer or pot?
Thank you!
There is a “meat bird” section on BYC. That’s the place to browse for those answers. Good for you taking that on. It’s difficult, emotionally, but well worth the effort to produce you own food.

I remember that now! That’s why your name looked so familiar. I believe it was another Orpington. A partridge one. A long night for us both. I’m happy to see you’re still hatching! I have some hatching tonight.

Thanks for the encouragement on the roos. Time will tell if we can wait the full 6 months. This is a particularly rowdy bunch of Marans.

6# at 3 1/2 months is an excellent weight for a heritage bird. I think I might try New Hampshires, meat bred line, next year. I’ll consider English Orpingtons too if they get that big. I’ll have to do some reading up before deciding.
Aww, you remember! Yes, it was a Partridge Orpington. It didn't make it, sadly, but it was malpositioned and pretty much stood no chance, finding a beak in the tangle of feathers and blood was impossible (especially for a newbie). The experience was still very educational though, and helped my future assists (which were all successful). Interestingly, all my assists so far have developed problems later on and died young (under a year), which has changed my position on assisting. So I only assisted one this year (the one from this thread) and want to see how it turns out, just out of curiosity, but it's starting to look like a boy so the experiment probably won't last long...

Let me know if you find a good heritage breed for meat. I've been looking for one, too. I settled on English Orps because they get big, and the "thick" kind of meaty big, not just tall and bony kind of big, and because they are docile and will be easy to raise and handle. But they are hard to find local, and expensive :( This year's brood are English Orpingtons, too, and I won't be able to wait long for the boys because I have an extra complication. I'm going away on vacation in August, with my husband staying behind and in charge of the animals, and I don't want to leave him with potentially crowing cockerels to have to deal with on his own. Processing, and everything animal, is my domain, he'll be taking over for me when I'm gone but I don't want to push it. So I'll need to process the males before I go, at which point they'll be only 2 and a half months old... I'll probably just throw them in a pot together and make soup.

I have raised Marans before, have not slaughtered any for meat yet. But I will probably go back to those once these bantam, barnyard mixes are used for me to learn on. They are nice thick birds, with large breasts with only layer feed, some table scraps and some free ranging when possible. The eggs are large with thick white and yellow. Very creamy, yummy egg. Our Granddaughter told her mother that the store eggs aren't good, like Nonna and Paw Paw's hens eggs. She is 4.

I have raised Marans before, have not slaughtered any for meat yet. But I will probably go back to those once these bantam, barnyard mixes are used for me to learn on. They are nice thick birds, with large breasts with only layer feed, some table scraps and some free ranging when possible. The eggs are large with thick white and yellow. Very creamy, yummy egg. Our Granddaughter told her mother that the store eggs aren't good, like Nonna and Paw Paw's hens eggs. She is 4.
Aww, even the kids can tell the difference! I have young kids too, and they really love the taste of homegrown meat. So much so that they are okay accepting the cute little chicks' fate :lol:

I don't like breast, so the Marans don't sound very appealing if they grow big boobs... I need to find me a thunder thigh chicken 🤔

I have seen some males with pretty big drumsticks.
Do some research and go for what appeals to you and your family. :love

I have seen some males with pretty big drumsticks.
Do some research and go for what appeals to you and your family. :love
The hard part is finding where to get them from... I really don't want to go the shipped route (anymore) and the options are a lot more limited if I only look for local. But I'll figure something out.

Back
Top Bottom