Abusive gander?

LaurieNew

Chirping
8 Years
May 6, 2013
Fallon Nevada
Hi! I'm a complete newbie to geese. Yet, about a month ago I was given a 7 month old Chinese gander, because he was trying to mate with resident ducks. He grew up with a brother, who went elsewhere. He stayed with my call duck flock, until I could find a female Chinese for him. He was fine to my ducks. A week ago, I purchased a year old female, who is laying. But, my gander is a complete jerk! He beats the bejeebers outta her! I tried separating him immediately from the ducks and her. I introduced her again, in neutral territory, and he's still a jerk. I've kept them together in a large yard, with no other birds, and still a jerk. Any advice? Should I re-home him?

Young ganders are jerks this time of year. I wouldn't put too much into his attitude right now. He had a flock with the ducks and the new goose is an intruder. I would keep them separate. Might be for a few weeks or it might be for the entire breeding season. If she was with a gander before you got her, you can try incubating the next 10 days worth of eggs or just count out goslings for this year. He should settle down with time.

Ah, thank you! Should I let him back in with the ducks? Should I give her a duck flock for company while separate from him? Or should he just go live with the Tom turkey for the duration?

My gander was raised with Muscovys and wanted nothing to do with the female goose I brought home for him he would try and run her off and scared her everytime she'd try and get close, so I had to totally separate him from the ducks and make a blind so he couldn't even see the duck he'd chose as his mate[she actually hatched him]

It took him about 4 months to accept her he was 5 yrs old when she came at 4 months but mating season sealed their relationship for good. Now they are inseparable.

Back
Top Bottom