Acceptable temp and humidity levels for the coop?

Farmer413

Songster
6 Years
Dec 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I have been searching all over. I cannot find an actual acceptable Coop temperature range or Coop humidity range. The ranges I find for humidity are between 30 and 80%. That's quite a large range. Does anyone know of a more accurate range?

Thanks

It's hard to say, because there is no acceptable temperature. Most will say not to try to control temperature at all. If you do, you're interfering with the chicken's ability to acclimate to it's climate, and regulate it's own temperature. Not too mention you're often introducing a risk of fire in your coop, depending on how you choose to heat it.

As with everything, there are exceptions.

The ideal humidity levels would be something close to zero, at least now in winter. That's not obtainable of course.

Given that it's relative humidity that's an issue, and that the temperature of the coop will change depending on the temperature outside, there isn't such a thing as an ideal humidity range.

At least that's what I think I've learned.

You may want to read through this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...iment-post-your-results-here/70#post_17867063

Look at your chickens. Chickens that are active, eating, clucking, and laying eggs, are chickens that are getting along mighty fine in the current set up.

I do agree that dry chickens are warm chickens, but by making sure that they have adequate ventilation above their heads, and protection from the wind, but free air movement in the coop and good deep, dry bedding will do by far more for your chickens health than a magic number.

Ventilation is key, and really they need more of it than most of us think in the beginning.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom