Accepting what might be and pushing forward.....need advice on multiple concerns.

Pics
Unfortunately, she is not allowed to give out medical advice, but she gave me some contact numbers for poultry vets....nearest ones are about 90 minute drive. She said the list she has is very outdated, but these people may be able to refer me if they cannot help. She also suggested I contact Mr. Kean (UW Madison Animal/Diary Science) again to see if he had specific recommendations now that we have a final report. (He has extensive experience with backyard flocks.) She thinks he might be able to guide me in how to address the environment, too, since we use sand in our coops. I started an email today, and i will get it finished tonight!

Good morning....just a quick update. I had started Bonk and the other pullet on Vit B Complex and Vit E on Tuesday. (Probably should have started it sooner. 🤦🏼‍♀️) Today I went in to open up the coops, and both girls were sitting in an upright position! The pullet is on her hocks, but it is such an improvement from the past couple of days of only being able to lay on her side. Bonk is upright with her wings slightly outstretched for a bit of support to keep balanced. I will continue on with the vitamins and daily strengthening exercises. I will also see if my kids can help me make another sling/hammock. I noticed the pullet has a bit of a sore on one of her legs, I suppose from rubbing on the ground. I do have the kennel fluffed with pine shavings, but sometimes she has it cleared down to the sand.

I haven't heard back from Mr. Kean yet, but it sounds like he's kind of one-man show from what Dr. Deering had said.

Have a good day all!

From final report (copied things I thought were helpful...please let me know if there's anything else I should be looking for on the report that might help)
DIAGNOSIS:
* Necrotizing and hemorrhagic intestinal coccidiosis & clostridial enteritis
* Mycoplasma gallisepticum & synoviae PCR-positive
* Escherichia coli bacteremia, presumed
* Intestinal Salmonella Mbandaka
OTHER:
Other points previously discussed but worth mentioning again, include:
* Lesions typical for Marek's disease (an alphaherpesviral infection/disease) are not observed
grossly or histologically in this pullet's tissues.
* Turkey hemorrhagic enteritis virus is not a health risk to humans and is presumed to be an
incidental infection lacking clinical significance in this pullet.
Poor things.
Again I didn't read the whole thread..where did you get your flock from?

Poor things.
Again I didn't read the whole thread..where did you get your flock from?
Well, my lovely husband went crazy on getting chickens this past spring.
6 adults & 7 pullets in March from local on FB marketplace;
10 adults & 10 pullets (pullets were the group of lavenders and EE I'm having most problems with) in April from in-laws who haven't had any issues with their flocks;
31 1-week-old Leghorns from TSC.
Looking back on it and learning what we have on this site, we realize the mistakes that were made by not starting out much smaller. 😖

Well, my lovely husband went crazy on getting chickens this past spring.
6 adults & 7 pullets in March from local on FB marketplace;
10 adults & 10 pullets (pullets were the group of lavenders and EE I'm having most problems with) in April from in-laws who haven't had any issues with their flocks;
31 1-week-old Leghorns from TSC.
Looking back on it and learning what we have on this site, we realize the mistakes that were made by not starting out much smaller. 😖
Shoot...you have a large flock. I was going to ask if you thought about starting over but that is a lot of birds to kill to start over.

I'm sorry you are having to learn the hard way. :hugs

Are you planning to repeat the Tri Sulfa treatment 10 days after the last day of the first one?

Since your report confirmed coccidiosis (the protozoa parasite) in addition to bacterias, a follow up of Tri Sulfa would be needed to break the parasite's cycle.
Good morning....just a quick update. I had started Bonk and the other pullet on Vit B Complex and Vit E on Tuesday. (Probably should have started it sooner. 🤦🏼‍♀️) Today I went in to open up the coops, and both girls were sitting in an upright position! The pullet is on her hocks, but it is such an improvement from the past couple of days of only being able to lay on her side. Bonk is upright with her wings slightly outstretched for a bit of support to keep balanced. I will continue on with the vitamins and daily strengthening exercises. I will also see if my kids can help me make another sling/hammock. I noticed the pullet has a bit of a sore on one of her legs, I suppose from rubbing on the ground. I do have the kennel fluffed with pine shavings, but sometimes she has it cleared down to the sand.

I haven't heard back from Mr. Kean yet, but it sounds like he's kind of one-man show from what Dr. Deering had said.

Have a good day all

Back
Top Bottom