Accident on sand I used

wendy2012

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
So been trying to find correct sand for my run. I thought I bought the quick right medium sand but for some reason I got a sand that says I'd mixed with cement. I'm a new chicken owner so when I laid it out I did think why was it kind of dusty. After researching again i found out that sand cannot have cement. So after finding out i tried getting out 60 lbs of this sand from run. My chicken were already in there after laying it out. I took out as much as I could and put normal sand on top with probably still some of the other sand with cement in there. Also put straw so they don't really eat it. So was wondering, hoping they will be ok. What do you think? Dont have anywhere else to put them.

So been trying to find correct sand for my run. I thought I bought the quick right medium sand but for some reason I got a sand that says I'd mixed with cement. I'm a new chicken owner so when I laid it out I did think why was it kind of dusty. After researching again i found out that sand cannot have cement. So after finding out i tried getting out 60 lbs of this sand from run. My chicken were already in there after laying it out. I took out as much as I could and put normal sand on top with probably still some of the other sand with cement in there. Also put straw so they don't really eat it. So was wondering, hoping they will be ok. What do you think? Dont have anywhere else to put them.

Wanted to add that end of this month I will be making coop bigger so they will have more grass. But that's by the end of july.

I would soak it really well which SHOULD set the cement up and make it stay put at the bottom of the pile, otherwise the chickens will scratch in it and mix it all up.

It started pouring now so thinking some of that rain will help cement settle down. Thank you!

I'd keep them off of it while it's wet tho, wet cement is caustic.
Chemical reaction should be done within 12-24 hours.
I took more of the cement out after rain and layered some bricks on top on half of my run. I also put hay on top of area that has the new sand I put in yesterday. I even put a soil area in run by scooping out all sand and leaving only soil so they could eat bugs from safely and put soil organic compost on top. Will continue cleaning run every few days.

Back
Top Bottom