"Accidental" Arkansas New Member Introduction

rmbrasher

Hatching
Jan 27, 2016
Arkansas
Introduction:
Hello, everyone! My name is Rachel and I am the owner of a small flock of what I refer to as "accidental chickens". Now before anyone gets upset, let me explain! My husband and I have talked about wanting to get a few chickens for a while. It was on our list, but not at the top of it because of time and money (we didn't have a coop, etc.) We have some friends who wanted some chickens for eggs, but can't have them where they live, so they worked out an agreement with someone else to keep them at their house. Long story short....that fell through and our friends threw up a coop at our house and moved their chickens here!

My flock:
Our little "accidental" flock consisted of 9 chickens that were about 16 weeks old when they came to our house. I was told they were all pullets, but pretty soon I started to think a couple of them looked like roosters and behold a couple of weeks ago we started to hear crowing!
roll.png
So we seem to have 7 pullets and 2 roos. I was also told some were Rhode Island Reds and some were Ameraucanas. The 2 roos and a couple of the pullets do look like they could be Rhode Island Reds, but I'm not really sure about the others. I will be hitting up the breed forums once I'm done here! We do plan to add more chickens to our flock. We're mainly interested in egg production for now. We want enough eggs to cover 2 families (total of 9 people) with some extras to share a dozen here and there.

BYC:
As I'm sure you can imagine, I have a lot to learn about raising chickens. It was while looking for information on one of the many things I did not know that a trusty Google search brought me to BYC.com! Since then I have browsed around, gotten sucked into a breed specific thread that began several years ago, and joined!

About me:
I want to say I live in rural Arkansas, but that seems a little redundant...
tongue.png
But seriously, I live in Arkansas near Ft. Smith. My husband and I are blessed to own 27 acres that was part of my great-grandparents dairy farm. My husband and I will celebrate 10 years of marriage this year. We have a 4 year old daughter (a carbon copy of me) and a 5 month old son (looks like his daddy so far!!) We have a half black lab, half great pyrenees mutt dog. We have a small herd of cattle (a blend of mostly hereford and angus) that runs my family's connected pasture land. I used to teach at the jr high/high school level, but wanted to stay home when we started having kids. Being a homemaker mom is my favorite job!! I enjoy cooking, sewing, reading, singing, traveling, movies, and being outside. Oh..and I am a former 4-Her, cloverbud to 18. I know that means something to a lot of the folks here at BYC. I am a Christian, born again by the grace of God, and we are blessed to be a part of a local church we love with sound, biblical teaching. (If you live in our area and are looking for a church home please feel free to PM me for information.)

Well that pretty well sums me up! I'm happy to be here! - Rachel

Last edited:
Nice to meet you Rachel, welcome to Backyard chickens. If you put your state name in the search box, it will pop up for you. BYC has members In Arkansas and you may find some living close enough to you, to meet in person.

Hi Rachel and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I hope you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us - gotta be the best place on the web for all things chicken!

Welcome! I myself am new to the site! Can't wait to take advantage of everything this site has to offer, and perhaps pass on some wisdom to others.
ya.gif

Hi Rachel,
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for an interesting introduction! It's nice the chicken re-location worked out well for everyone.

If you haven't already done so, check out the Learning Center for some helpful articles on raising chickens. Lots of good information there and you can find even more using the Search feature (upper left, under the logo).

Thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom