Accidental Flock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EquusCaballusFern, May 25, 2017.

1. EquusCaballusFern

EquusCaballusFern Songster

May 24, 2017
    Washington, USA
    Hello all~
    Last week, we acquired 70+ innumerable ornamental chickens from a beloved neighbor who sadly passed away. We accepted them graciously, and apparently accepted quite a large task along with the newest additions to our ranging menagerie.
    We have refurbished an old calving hut/barn into our coop, ample nesting boxes and roosting space included. It's 58' by 35' wide- is this a suitable amount of area for seventy birds? We have thoroughly predator-proofed the entirety of the structure: to the extent of cementing in mouse holes that pose possible access to weasels and such; we also reinforced the windows with wire, hardware cloth, and a thin layer of plexiglass.
    We plan on free-ranging them, due to the fact we don't have the time nor level space to put a pen of such immense size. We've been feeding them Nutrena's Layer Formula, along with fortifying their diet with insoluble grit and oyster shell supplements.
    Any tips or advice would be immensely appreciated! :D
    Thank you for your valuable time,
    Fern

2. mitch0275

mitch0275 In the Brooder

Dec 28, 2015
    Yes most definitely. If fact they will be very comfortable. Glad you could help out.

3. N F C

N F C Marbles...I found mine!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Hi Fern, it's nice to have you here! That's quite a large "ready made" flock you have. It sounds to me like you're off to a good start.

Best of luck with your "accidental flock"!

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join us!

5. LearninMyFlock

LearninMyFlock Songster

Jul 9, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome! Lucky you! :) best wishes

6. LearninMyFlock

LearninMyFlock Songster

Jul 9, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Well lucky you to get the birds in memory. I'm so sorry for your loss! My gpa was a chicken lover. He passed last fall. In building my flock with as much variety as I can in memory of him. But the sad part is when you need their advice and they are gone.

masmom likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you have all laying hens in this flock? I ask because non-laying birds, chicks/pullets, and roosters shouldn't be fed layer feed. They do not need the added calcium and in the case of males it can overload their kidneys.

Some folks just keep them all on grower feed with a separate container for crushed oyster shell. Birds that don't need it, won't take any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: