Accidental rabbit litter in my chicken/rabbit coop

Oops! Forgot the pic

Attachments

• PXL_20210620_213037650.jpg
    PXL_20210620_213037650.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 16
What do you think of this solution? I expanded the nest so that the babies can move away from each other if they're overheated, and I covered multiple hard freezer lunch packs with the gray towel so that they can get cooler if they need to. Today it will get to 93 but we only spend about three hours in the 90s before it cools quickly, so it felt like a safer day to experiment.

The sand below the hutch is nice and cool, and that's where the adult rabbits and chickens were chilling. I did add ice to their water and sprayed down a section of the sand to cool it further.

And that's protective mama in the photo, who actually raced upstairs and nursed them for a minute while I was moving things around. The tiny girl isn't even three pounds or five months old yet, but she gets an A+ for parenting skills.
If they have space to regulate their temp, they should be ok.

My male Rex is a GREAT father. I did separate the male and female. My female is a Dwarf rabbit. Since they are bonded. Mom is caged, she likes it in there. Dad runs free. I separated them in two different cages, at first litter. Dad stopped eating. Now, he visits her and the other 2 does I have. The mom and dad touch noses all the time. I let my Mini-Rex see his babies, from birth. He groomed them in his cage. Mom had a break. It was cute!
I did read that after the fact, and I assume she's pregnant again, though I never witnessed any mating. :/ They're bonded, and since what's done is likely done, I don't want to separate them now. He's been caring for her while she cares for the babies. He has a neuter appt. next week.
You

Back
Top Bottom