Acclimating chicks to hot weather

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kaugomu, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Kaugomu

Kaugomu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    I have three chicks ([1] 5 week old and [2] 3 week old) that are quickly outgrowing their brooder. I'd say we've got another two or three weeks tops before they are done being closed in a box all day. The problem is (other than the coop isn't done yet) that it's HOT outside here! We are in triple digit heat on a daily basis. The plans for their run include covering the whole top of it with shade cloth and then fronds from our big palm tree than needs to be trimmed so it'll be shaded for sure, but it's still hot. I took the girls outside just a bit ago (with water and cold tomato and watermelon for treats none of which they touched) for their very first time and they didn't even last 5 minutes before they were panting open mouthed. Now I'm going to guess part of that was being stressed since they had no idea what was going on or why they were out of their brooder, but still. Does anyone have tips on acclimating them to the hot outside before they move out permanently? I'd hate to move them out and they all die from being overheated.

Do I start taking them out in the mornings before it gets too hot so they get used to being outside then work on taking them out a little later as the day heats up? Is there a better way? I know we can keep them outside here, lots of people do, I just don't know how we get them used to being there before we kick 'em out.

Thanks for any and all help!

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have sprinklers for my birds and they love it when I turn them on. I also have pans of water I put cool water in every day and they love to wade in them and shade. A friend of mine uses misters and has hers on a timer. They will adjust. You just have to make it as comfortable for them as you can. Also I wet down the area in the shade and they love to dust bath in the cool soil. On really hot days, I freeze blocks of ice and put the blocks in their pans of water. We haven't had triple digits here yet but it has been in the upper 90's. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    I am in TX and its HOT. I took them out every morning til noon, then brought them back inside. I did this for about a week. 3 nights ago I took them out about 8:30 pm. Yesterday was the first day for out all day. I put a fan on the pen, a wet rug on top and draped down over the west corner, Ice bottle in front of fan, wet down dirt often, and a saucer of cool water freshened often. So far they are doing OK. I watch them like a hawk to make sure they are OK.

pam in TX

4. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I too am in TX and like the PP, I am out there all the time, changing water, switching out frozen water jugs with the thawed ones. I hose the run down with water & they enjoy the cool damp dirt. The area is shaded 90% of the time, two giant oak trees keep their run in shade. I have my 7 week olds in the larger part of the run & the 5 & 3 week olds in a fenced off area of the run. My BR girls are a bit mean to the little ones, so they can not be together yet. I put the little ones in the coop last night, but they are still in their brooder box, for their safety.
    It will be bed time for them in the next 30 minutes, have been dragging my feet on putting them to bed, and keeping them out longer so they get the breeze.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by