Acclimating/introducing the flock to the big world.......

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by missionsix, Apr 6, 2009.

1. missionsix

missionsix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    Sunriver , OR (Bend)
    It's the second day I have let my 11 hens and 1 turkey out of the coop and into the run. The weather has been nice this weekend in Central Oregon. Day 1 they were roaming while I cut in the pop door and made the ramp. This morning I simply opened the door and they are quickly becoming accustomed.
    The question(s): Do I need to urge them back inside and lock them up so they don't get too cold? They are just in feather. Roughly 4 weeks old.
    Or, do they get the hint, and will get back inside where it is warm?
    The run is predator safe.
    EDIT: It's 40 deg. out right now and they are out playing still.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    Wow, that is a great question that I'd also like to know about from the more experienced chick parents out there. My gut tells me that as long as they are completely feathered you can let them play until bedtime....just before dark. I think that if they are too cold they will go inside themselves. If they don't go in, you should put them in for a couple of evenings and then they will get the hang of it. They are teenagers now and I bet they are loving their new freedom. Good luck to you and your chicks!

3. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    I wouldn't necessarily count on them finding their way back inside. You may find them out in the dark in a big pile trying to keep warm. It took me several times of gathering up my 6 week olds (now 8 wks) at dark, before they got the idea. At four weeks, they may still need a heat lamp, to keep them warm. I don't know how your coop is set up, I'd just keep an eye on them to make sure they get put to bed OK and kept warm.

4. missionsix

missionsix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    Sunriver , OR (Bend)
    I ended up doing the 'ol round up last night.
    So, with the thought of them just "getting the hint", seems to be a good way to teach them to get back into the coop when they are running around the yard. As long as the food/water stays in the same spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by