Ack ! How to defrost turkey FAST !!

Lunachick

Chicken Slave
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Brick, NJ
I'm having fun reading about Thanksgiving and turkey and who's getting company etc. and turkey this and turkey that, I JUST realized I'm at work and I have a frozen solid turkey in the freezer until I can get home TODAY. The minute I get home what should I do? I know about a cool water bath, but I think this is an emergency !! Any advice appreciated!!

If you aren't going to cook it until Thursday morning you probably still have time to get it thawed out when you get home. You have all day Wednesday. I'm not possitive though.

I would stick to the water bath. Maybe change the water with something not at cold every little while.

Did you see the phone commercial where the guy did NOT thaw his turkey before dropping it into the deep fryer? ;-)

Fill the sink w/ room temp water and put it in ASAP.

You need 4 hours of thawing for every 1 pound of turkey.

We took ours out yesterday and put it in another fridge, but will removed it tonight and put it in the cold water bath.

When are u cooking it??? Just leave it in the sink starting tonight....1.5 days should be more than enough to thaw it. Turn your heat up to like 70 so that your house is really warm and that turkey should be thawed in no time. I can't count how many times I've had to quick thaw turkeys and chickens. It doesn't take too long. Of course, the optimal way to do it would be to let it thaw in the fridge, but I won't tell if you don't.....If you're still really worried about it you can put it in some really warm water and let it sit till the water is freezing cold, then repeat....I usually use hot tap water, but that's just me. I know, I'm not supposed to, but sometimes you gotta break those cooking rules....Good luck!!!

Put it in a cooler of water so the bird is completely submerged. That helps a little. I brine our turkey before cooking it, so this is what I do every year. Add 2 cups salt, one cup sugar, a head of garlic, and any herbs you like to the cooler of water before you put it in. Let it soak overnight or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of brining our turkey this year. Can you put it in the brine before it is completely thawed? How long is too long when it comes to brining?

Thanks so much everyone! I'll be home around 3:00 today, it's 15 lbs of turkey frozen solid.
sad.png
I'll be putting the turkey in a bath fully submerged first thing, I'll be doing this with my coat still on and purse slung over my shoulder! I can't believe I forgot all about it.

Oh and what is that about with the cool water for the bird instead of warm or hot water? Is that a safety issue? Thanks again I feel a little bit better, but frustrated too.
barnie.gif

Quote:
I know no one's ever gotten sick when we've done it....that's about all I can tell ya. I've used tap water, not boiling water or anything....

Back
Top Bottom