ACK! Long, white worm found wrapped around poo. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wise Woman, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    This morning when I went out to feed and water the chickens, I found a piece of poo in one of the nest boxes that has a long white worm wrapped all around it. I think it is a worm. I have never seen anything like this in my 10 years of chicken keeping. They get apple cider vinegar everyday in their water. I have wormed my flock on occasion with Ivermectin, but this year I have a bunch of new chickens and have not wormed them, just gave the ACV. If someone knows what kind of worm this might be, I would appreciate knowing so I can do a search. I have to get ready for work, so I don't have time to search through a lot of posts right now. Thanks so much. I appreciate any and all help with this matter. I want to get the taken care of ASAP.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:ACV isnt a wormer, and ivermectin is losing or has lost its effectiveness as a wormer in chickens. A long white worm can only be one of two types of worms in chickens. A large roundworm can be 3-4 inches in length. A tapeworm can exceed that length and stretch further, elastic-like....it is flat and segmented if you look at it under a magnifing glass. Otherwise it can appear to look round. Roundworms are not elastic-like and dont have segments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by