Ackerman’s Alumi-Coop Chicken Tractor - A Review

We now have 3 of the 10’x12’ and 1 of the 6’x10’. These things make my day to day so simple. Yes they were pricey, but for us, the trade off is worth it. I have just moved a bantam silkie mama hen, daddy roo, and their two chicks that are a month or so into the bantam tractor and it’s going well. I’m still thinking on the waterer situation I want.

I also purchased one of these. The 10x12 model. I purchased from an excellent dealer in Breman, IN Midwest Farm and Pet. I highly recommend this dealer as they had great pricing, friendly, and easy transaction. Is it worth it? Hard to say. This is my first tractor style coop and I am using it for Red Rangers. It is pricey, but I am one of those you get what you pay for buy once cry once. Assembly was very easy. There are some things that could have been better and made it easier, but that would only increase the cost to purchase. For water i am using two plasson bell waterers and for feed i just built a hanging trough. This thing is a heavy beast but moves fairly easily. I did also end up modifying how the tarp is held on to make it more predator proof. I have only had the first batch of meat birds in it a week, but am very satisfied with the purchase so far.

Can hens be kept in these all day/night without the need for an additional coop? I'm new to keeping chickens and im curious if the fact that the cage can be seen through (by predators and the chickens) might make for stressful nights?

Can hens be kept in these all day/night without the need for an additional coop? I'm new to keeping chickens and im curious if the fact that the cage can be seen through (by predators and the chickens) might make for stressful nights?
:welcome Glad to have you join us!

Apparently, Open Air coops are pretty common in the South. Here are a bunch you can look through:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/texas-coop-build-pic-heavy.1371038/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wanted-open-air-coop-pics.1489579/

They strike me that they would be alarming for the chickens, but I guess since chickens have terrible night-time vision, they don't notice much of what's out there. It seems to work.

Back
Top Bottom