Acorns from English Oaks- safe for chickens?

LynneP

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Centre Rawdon, Nova Scotia, Canada
I must have over 400 pounds of those whitish acorns from our English oaks. These are a different species to the native red oak of North America and can be eaten by humans. But are they safe for chickens? Does anything need to be done to them if they are safe to offer?

Thanks!

Acorns should be safe for chickens. Turkeys eat them all of the time. Plus any chicken free ranging in my area is exposed to thousands of acorns daily, from many species of oaks.

That's good to know. I may crack them and use in the run as a cold-weather treat.
I've also obtained a large supply of alfalfa cubes for my horse, and they look soft enough (I could bite through) to offer as a green treat in winter...

Turkeys and deer eat almost exclusively mast (acorns) in late fall.

If the chickens can choke 'em down, they should be able to digest them, and they are very nutritious.

Good for pigs, too.

I had a roo that got one stuck in his crop- HE was very very sick and I had the vet put him down. I haven't noticed my turkeys eating them.

We can't get fresh alfalfa here, but do get the dehydrated shrink-wrapped cubes.

We've just thrown a few good handfuls of it into a bucket of warm water for 5 - 10 minutes, then drained it and fed it to the chickens. They wolf it down!

We don't do it often, as a 15 inch square bundle is 15.00..... a bit expensive for a regular part of their diet. May get them some again come winter, when green is kinda hard to come by.

Kathy

Quote:
Have you looked around at a big feed store or mill? I buy the cubes for my goats and rabbits. I get a 50lb bag for $12. For treats I throw some out for the birds every once in a while. They like beet pulp shreds too.

I have beet pulp too, thanks! I was thinking that dehydrated summer forage might be a good addition occasionally in the depths of winter...
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom