Acting timid - Not Eating Much

Is she improving now?

Consider deworming her if the poop is still off.
It's possible she has infection, but I'd start with making sure her crop empties and getting a fecal float to see if worms are an issue or just deworm to see if that makes a difference.
She seems to be getting better, but not all the way. She has a better appetite, but not her normal appetite. The most positive sign though is she seems to be acting spunkier, and much more social.

We have been trying to give her crop massages. Of all of our hens, she is the hardest to catch!(I guess it's a good sign though). I am still not sure whether the crop is the problem, but thought the treatment won't hurt either.

Deworming is a good idea. We haven't done this yet. is there a method you'd recommend more than others?

She seems to be getting better, but not all the way. She has a better appetite, but not her normal appetite. The most positive sign though is she seems to be acting spunkier, and much more social.

We have been trying to give her crop massages. Of all of our hens, she is the hardest to catch!(I guess it's a good sign though). I am still not sure whether the crop is the problem, but thought the treatment won't hurt either.

Deworming is a good idea. We haven't done this yet. is there a method you'd recommend more than others?
If you're having a hard time catching her for treatment, go out early and grab her from the roost, treat her. Then when she goes to roost at dusk, grab her again and treat. That would be twice a day. I'm not a fan of chasing chickens around at all, stressful for me and them.

For non molting birds, you can use Safeguard (Fenbendazole). Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in row.

If you're having a hard time catching her for treatment, go out early and grab her from the roost, treat her. Then when she goes to roost at dusk, grab her again and treat. That would be twice a day. I'm not a fan of chasing chickens around at all, stressful for me and them.

For non molting birds, you can use Safeguard (Fenbendazole). Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in row.
@Wyorp Rock, can you worm molting birds? And if so, what do you recommend? Or is it just too stressful while they're molting? Thanks

@Wyorp Rock, can you worm molting birds? And if so, what do you recommend? Or is it just too stressful while they're molting? Thanks
Yes, you can worm molting birds, use Valbazen (Albendazole).

It's not stress, Fenbendazole (Safeguard) is known to affect feather quality in molting birds so it's not recommended.

Crop is emptying, so I think this is okay. This morning I tried giving her all kinds of treats, and no real interest. Sunflower seeds, black soldier larvae ... could get maybe a beak full of yogurt, and a beak full of scrambled egg. She just wasn't having it.

She is drinking a lot, so I then left a bowl of her normal layer feed out, and mixed with a little water to make a mash ...and she's wolfing it down(when the others are away and distracted). There's always layer mix available in the coop but it's dry pellets.

I am not sure why she will not eat treats, but just glad to see her eating something nutritious.

The others haven't been too too bad...but she sure is scared of them. She avoids and runs past them all, poor thing. She has been sneaking food away from the others, when no one pays attention.
I have a bunch of feed stations now. Then once a day I have her in the coop solo, and feed treats.
It's not immediate but I feel she's a little better every day

Hi All - This is our first year of raising chickens. I am not sure whether my chicken is ill, but I thought that could be it, and so I am posting here. Maybe it's bullying though? She is at the bottom of the pecking order right now, so this could be it too. I was hoping someone with more experience could please let me know your thoughts.
I have a chicken that used to be really feisty, and now she is not eating very much at all. She won't take treats from my hand right now(when she used to taken them pretty aggressively!). She will eat though, but only scratch and seeds that I drop near her(and only when I lock the others up). I've tried giving her eggs and black soldier larvae, and she is not very interested. A couple times she tried eating the larvae, and it fell from her beak. I don't know if she wasn't interested or was having trouble with the size of it. She is drinking water.

I think she is pooping right now, but not laying

She is not hanging out with the others often, but not lethargic. She is not as fast or as peppy as normal. She is though puttering around the yard pecking and scratching. She is low on the pecking order though and the others are a little mean to her.

She has had a tough couple of months. Two weeks or so ago she had blood on the right side of her face, and her eye seemed like she had a little bit of an eye infection, but it cleared up. Maybe two months ago(?) she was eggbound, but we were able to help her with a warm bath.

We're been trying to inspect her (she is still fast, feisty, and hard to handle). Vent looked okay. Didn't see any parasites, but will check again.

I am trying to figure out if it is illness, or bullying and how to help the poor sweetie. Any thoughts, please share!
hi, for my duck brewers yeast with water helped, not sure if chickens can have it

Back
Top Bottom