ACV and new chicks

just a small one. 7 chicks. Also since you are here....any suggestions for keeping ducklings from using their drinking water as bath. They keep soaking their bedding and draining their water dry several times a day. I was thinking about moving them to the garage and adding something with water in it to allow them a proper play place.
wink.png

Kevin can tell you about ducklings.
smile.png
She does ducks, I do chickens.
ACV I used from day old, 4-5 tablespoons to a gallon water. It's very good for chicks. Also plain yoghurt.

just a small one. 7 chicks. Also since you are here....any suggestions for keeping ducklings from using their drinking water as bath. They keep soaking their bedding and draining their water dry several times a day. I was thinking about moving them to the garage and adding something with water in it to allow them a proper play place.
wink.png
Ah yes the hardest part of brooding ducklings. Honestly there isn't much you can do to prevent this. Some people add marbles in so less water can be splashed out but the bedding will still get wet. I wouldn't leave them alone with any water because when they are young they can easily become waterlogged or chilled.

Kevin can tell you about ducklings.
smile.png
She does ducks, I do chickens.
ACV I used from day old, 4-5 tablespoons to a gallon water. It's very good for chicks. Also plain yoghurt.

Thanks. Saw you post that on another thread so I have already implemented.
big_smile.png
No pasty butt but it is never too soon to prevent.

Kevin's duck knowledge is awesome! That is why I posted the extra bit about my messy ducklings.
wink.png

Ah yes the hardest part of brooding ducklings. Honestly there isn't much you can do to prevent this. Some people add marbles in so less water can be splashed out but the bedding will still get wet. I wouldn't leave them alone with any water because when they are young they can easily become waterlogged or chilled.

So what you're saying is invest in more bedding material...
wink.png
The marble trick doesn't work since they have booted the marbles out.

So what you're saying is invest in more bedding material...
wink.png
The marble trick doesn't work since they have booted the marbles out.
What bedding are you using? The best material hands down in the brooder for me is sand. It helps absorb some of the smell and it defiantly cuts down on the water mess. I also sprinkle a little bit of baking soda in the sand for even more odor control.

Thanks. Saw you post that on another thread so I have already implemented.
big_smile.png
No pasty butt but it is never too soon to prevent.

Kevin's duck knowledge is awesome! That is why I posted the extra bit about my messy ducklings.
wink.png
She knows her ducks.
smile.png

What bedding are you using? The best material hands down in the brooder for me is sand. It helps absorb some of the smell and it defiantly cuts down on the water mess. I also sprinkle a little bit of baking soda in the sand for even more odor control.

I have thought about using sand but I compost everything and didn't really want to add the sand. Soil is bad enough as it is. I am just using pine shavings.

Back
Top Bottom