ACV and runny behind

JakRat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Dover
Can apple cider vinegar cause chicks (11 week olds) to get a runny behind? I was looking at my girls rears today (gotta love being a chicken mom) and I noticed that they didnt have a pasty behind, but there behinds were wet and stinky.

Should I cut the apple cider vinegar? or should I give them another supplement.

Right now they are on regular food and have not been free ranging.

caf.gif

I do not believe that using ACV will cause diarrhea. I use it all the time for maintaining good health in the chickens, but I do not use it everyday. Once a week for a day or so is good enough. However, anything is possible.

Are you feeding them lots of greens and squashes, berries and wet foods? These types of foods are guaranteed to give the runs to chickens.
smile.png

Maybe it's due to how much you're adding?
idunno.gif

When my 9 Iowa Blues (spring 2011 hatch) got pasty butt, the only thing that helped them was the ACV. Had never used it before this... If I didn't have it in their water, the pasty butt came back.
sad.png
As a result, this made a believer out of me! Fast forward to today and I continue to add ACV to my entire flocks water. Not every refill gets it, just every other refill. Still, I've never had no problems with it causing diarrhea even when it was added every single day.

Quote:
How much do you use? I give ACV to my horses, 1 cup in their feed every day during the spring/summer and 1/4 cup a day during the fall/winter. 1 cup seems to do the trick to help keep many of the flies away.

Quote:
How much do you use? I give ACV to my horses, 1 cup in their feed every day during the spring/summer and 1/4 cup a day during the fall/winter. 1 cup seems to do the trick to help keep many of the flies away.

I just had a bit in one of the 2 waterers I have.

I am getting nervous now because they have semi wet behinds... could this just be the ceacal dropings getting caught? Should I maybe give them something like bananas to stop this???

I also just feel as though my coop is falling apart (not the structure) One of the other new girls I have just seems depressed and has a runny nose... I have been giving them all the apple cider vinegar, and a vitamin supplement in their food (just started that and used very little).

I am tempted to bring the babies in and my little serama that seems depressed, but my husband thinks I am being silly.

Oh and they havent been getting much table scraps, I am trying to keep them all on a regular diet for now till I see how everyone does. I did put some wet cat food in for them today to give them a protein boots, but no one was interested in it.

I did add some mana pro supplement in their food since it is winter time, and it gets dark here at like 415!

I am just so worried... I feel like I cant catch a break on my hens lately.

I hope that all this is maybe just stress and an adjustment period.

Is this something that just occured. Think back about what you have added to there diet or changed in their diet and how long after each or after what change did you notice the paste butt. ACV shouldnt cause this my best guess from the info you provide is that it might be the Manna pro. I would discontinue for a few days and see if the paste butt goes away. If it does then theres you culprit if not could you be adding to much ACV to their water. I use 2 teaspoons per gal daily and I havent had any problem with pasty butt

Its not really pasty butt though... its like they are being lazy and not squatting properly when they are going. I looked at the droppings chart and it just looks like ceacal droppings, but their behinds are wet... not really any poo on them... just wet and stinky...

I think it may be the mana pro or the stress of the pecking order that is going on (they are only 10 weeks and the rest are old)

I am definitely over stressed about the coop though... my little serama is just depressed about being on the low end of the pecking order too, but her droppings are fine. I think I will hold off on the mana pro though as I saw some weird bright green droppings today too... I was just trying to help!

Back
Top Bottom