ACV questions...quick answers needed, please!

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Dazzle, our alpha roo is sick. He has that rooster laryngitis thing and is wheezing. He has been sick for about three days. I have ordered some meds for him but in the meantime want to try acv. So, here are my questions.

1) Does it work well for a bird who is already sick and how long before we would notice an improvement?
2) Can I put it in the whole flock's water and do they usually drink it? (we have had problems with some of ours not liking the taste of Aviacharge, for example)
3) Is the dosage 3 tbsp per gallon?
4) Since it has to be refrigerated, how long does it last once it is opened?
5) How long should we continue to add it to the water?

Thanks!
hmm.png

Quote:
I am in no means an expert, but I found this link for you. It's got lots of info about ACV. I glanced through it and saw the dosage suggestion of 1 tbsp/gallon.

But as to your #4, ACV has to be refrigerated? We've used it here, for people, for years and never refrigerated it.

I give 1 tablespoon per gallon and I do not refrigerate mine. It has overall health benefits, so it is a great preventative. At that dilution, it doesn't hurt to treat their water daily. Mine love it. While your roo is sick, it wouldn't hurt to give him some avian liquid vit. as well.

Thanks for the information. I got the organic kind b/c I read on here a long time ago that organic is best. It does say on the bottle to refrigerate after opening.

I ordered some VetRX, I know a lot of people like it. I'm just curious if anyone has had an actual experience with ACV as far as acting like an antibiotic? I have read in the past that people have used it as that on chickens, but wondered how well it really works once they are sick? I know I already asked this, just making sure.

I put it in their water, 1 tbsp per gallon, as a preventative - not sure about an antibiotic, though - Too much and they will not drink it, and can't say that I blame them
The kind to use is the organic with the mother -

OK, that's what I have, and we tried 1.5 tbsp today, which he drank a lot of. He seems a bit better...so maybe the vitamins and good food are helping and I am anxious to see if the acv makes a difference. If it doesn't noticeably in a day or so, I'm gonna start him on Duramycin til the other stuff gets here. In the meantime, hopefully it will work well as a preventative for the rest of the flock.

just for the record, we switched to Duramycin and he is in a pen now. I can't take any more chances than I have to on losing my best roo. The rest of the flock has free choice of Aviacharge or ACV water.

Back
Top Bottom