Add a new chick?

nkvmdsrs127

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2021
I am a first time chicken owner. My shipment of baby chicks arrived 2 days ago. Sadly 1 died in the first 24 hours. The other 3 are robust, eating & drinking well.
Would prefer 4-5 to grow up together. However, to get just 1-2 more chicks will require me to buy from a local hatchery. I found a good one not too far away. But it will be another few weeks until they have day old chicks.

Has anyone successfully introduced chicks this young, who are 2 weeks apart in age?
Is there a “best age” to introduce new chicks to other chicks
I don‘t mind even waiting a few months for the current group to grow up.

Thanks!

I wouldnt put them together that far apart in age but it may depend in how to raise chicks. My 3 week old chicks are already outside and have been since 2 weeks. Obviously I wouldnt be able to put day old chicks outside with them. They also already roost.

First of all, get at least 2 if you want additional chicks, so you aren't left with 1 young one vs 3 older.

The closer they are in age, the better (like within 2 weeks would be ideal). The first week or so they'll need to be separated in the brooder, so a wire partition would do nicely.

If you really can't get chicks until the older ones are a lot further along (months) then you're going to need to integrate as if adding babies to adults.

IF eggs matter to you, you might want to consider holding off on adding more until 6 months, 1 year, or even more, because staggering your flock ages will help give you more consistent production.

Back
Top Bottom