Added 2 to my flock just now.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by snooptwomey, Sep 14, 2011.

1. snooptwomey

snooptwomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    I got my first 2 chickens(Red sex links) 2 1/2 months ago, and they started laying almost 8 weeks ago. Now I just picked up 2 young Ameraucana pullets, I am guessing around 10 weeks, I was only told they were 2 to 3 months old. They are about a third the size of the red heads it seems. I have them in a seperate coop for the quarantine period, but have attempt to let them run loose in the backyard for around 10-15 mins while the red heads run around to start getting them acquainted. Is this a good idea for getting them used to each other? Once they get a little bigger and the 30 days is up, I want to have my coop designed a little bigger and have all 4 together as a flock.

Odd thing about the 2 new "girls" is that one stands more upright than the other and tail stands a little more upright, and has a little bit of comb on top, while the other stands more down, tail down, and has no comb at all. I got the one I am thinking is actually a girl last wednesday, and after a few days decided I didnt want her lonely in the coop alone, so I picked up another from same chicken breeder this monday. The one I just got is the one I am not sure if it is actually a girl. Breeder says she thinks its a girl. Any way I could tell or do I just wait and see lol?

[​IMG]
    The one on the right is the one in questioning

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

That's how I always add newbies to the flock. I quarenteen first, then I allow them to free range together, then eventually, they all end up in the same coop. There's less friction that way.

Maybe one of your new EEs is a cockerel. Can you show us a better pic?

3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]

I am thinking the one is question is a roo as well.
    They are hard to tell and may need a little more time.

4. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    snoop I'm sorry to be the one to tell you......if you have allowed the new chicks to free- range with your existing flock,or even ranged the new girls on the same ground as your existing girls range on you have already broken quarantine and your first girls have been exposed to any problems the new chicks may have. Proper quarantine requires that the chicks are not exposed to each other for at least 30 days. That means not allowed to walk on the same ground or be close enough to each other to contact airborne disease germs along with not being together in the coop.

Watch all the chicks for anything out of the ordinary and good luck.

5. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:x2

Good luck!

6. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    That one with the patchy red feathers on it is a boy for sure. I can't see the other one well enough to tell though. Maybe a bigger picture would help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by