* Added Video of Owl v. Peacock** What to do about a predator you can't shoot, you can't catch and i

Division of migratory bird management can issue a permit for the taking of depredating birds. The regional office for Wyoming is in Denver. Phone # 303-236-8171. Good luck on receiving the permit.

An owl?? They're EVERYWHERE out here.
All raptors are federally protected. If you've ever hurt or killed any raptor of any kind you've broken the law.

As for us offing it. I'd love to. My husband will not consider it. I mean it is lovely and majestic and we have an infestation of rabbits we'd love for it to take care of but it ISN'T. So we are trying to scare them off instead of murdering them. Well I'm trying because I've never hit anything I've shot at so I've no choice. ;)

Quote:
To get a depredation permit you have to prove you've done everything possible to solve the problem before applying for it, even if that means totally confining your birds

They won't issue a permit over just a few chickens if you can stop it any other way

Sorry you are having this problem.

Can you make a secure covered run that attaches to the barn? Then inside the barn make them another covered run?

I would think the owls will eventually loose interest and start hunting other things once they realize they can not get to your birds.

sorry if you said and i missed it but, did you try the beads or the owl decoys yet? i'm wondering if they are worthwhile... or what about those "EYE balloons" that are always for sale along with decoys.
i have some great horned owls, and a whole clan of barred owls who could care less about ANYTHING(me, the cat, the camera)... i can follow them all day, in fact i am often wondering if they are following me!
i have heard that they are like the JAWS myth, that they may live harmoniously with the fowl, until they get a taste, and then they want some more... does anyone know/have experience with that/is there truth in this?
i've been thinking of periodic free ranging, but based on your video i think i am a fool.

Back
Top Bottom