1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Addiction: Part 2!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JenniferJoIN, Sep 27, 2007.

1. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    So on Friday, I decided to take the long route and go to the feed store thad had the baby chickens. Granted, I could've stopped at the place close to work, but come on, they didn't have any chicks!

So I got there and I walked straight to the baby chicks and... they were 50% OFF!! [​IMG] So I frantically called DB and waited for him to call me back. The sales lady asked if I wanted some chickens and I smiled and said "Maybe!" So I did the shopping I needed to do, then I stood next to the chickens waiting for DB to call me back. He finally did and he agreed to one more chick! So I picked out a unique-looking Americauna and brought her home. So now I'm up to 14 chicks! [​IMG]

When I got her home, I was worried about how the others would treat her (even though they're all 3 weeks old) so I let the others play outside while the newbie rested. I watched them closely to make sure no one was picking on her and that she was eating okay. And now 6 days later, she's eating more than any of the rest of them and scratching around like everyone else!

We also moved the chicks into their coop to give them more room. I'll post pictures up tomorrow of the new coop (aka, a big room in the garage), the new addiction... I mean addition, and update pictures of the original 13. It's crazy that you can be so excited about 1 gosh darn chick!! [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

YAY! More chicks! That's some self control to only get one at 50% off.. I'd bought the lot!

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I went to the feed store today...they have guinies(sp) Lavender.....just about $4.00 a piece!! My son dragged me away from the pens....saying.." Mom, Dad will be SO MAD if you come home with them" He is right...I have to watie till spring....right??

4. PeiTheCelt

PeiTheCelt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    *twitch* It's not an addiction, I don't want any more chicks... really!

*twitch* (Come on man, just one more bird, I can quit anytime!)

[​IMG]

5. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    only one !!! you are one strong shopper I would have gotten 2...3....4....5 how many did they have ? 6..7...etc...LOL

6. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    They had about 20 Americaunas left and like two cages of guineas! Granted, the 50% off only meant we saved a dollar, but I knew that that would get him! They still had like 25 cornish x's.

When we went back on Sunday though, all the chicks were gone! I guess other people got excited about the 50% off too!

I was amazed how quick those cornish x's grow. They're the same age as my chicks and they were a good twice as big! [​IMG]

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Chickens cheap???????? Let's see, $400.00 spent so far for coop and run, food etc- $$$ per chicken per year of feed.
    Reminds me of someone reminding me that there's no such thing as a cheap horse.

8. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    You are strong, I would have said "bag them up" LOL, 50% off.. thats not a deal but a steal!!! YEP, you are stronger than I!!! [​IMG]

9. hipmarye

hipmarye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Mississippi
    Addiction!?! Nay, nay my young one. You can't be active in your addicted if you called your "sponsor". You should of had an enabler with you to help feed your addiction. :aww
    Oh by the way, I'm Marye and I'm a chickenaholic. Welcome. You won't find much support for any sort of recovery. We are all too active in our addictions, but we'll be glad to enable you.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  10. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    HAHAHA, nothing like being shoved down the slippery slpoe you are already sliding on... LOL
    BUY MORE BUY MORE..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by