adding 13 week olds to 23 week olds

poultryman84

Songster
9 Years
Oct 24, 2014
Quincy IL
Hey everyone. I started out in march with 28 chicks for McMurry hatchery these are now 23 weeks old. After having them for a while I got the bug to hatch a few chicks. Long story short I ended up with over 30 more chicks. These chicks are now 13 weeks old. I sectioned off a 12x8 portion of my coop to put the younger ones in in an attempt to get them used to each other. they were in the sectioned area for a little over 2 weeks before I let them in with the older birds. Every thing seemed to be going good but I'm noticing the younger birds will not leave the coop. They will go to the pop door but will not venture out. They have had a week as one big group but very seldom do I see the young ones outside. In fact only once did I see one out. what are everyone's thoughts? Is there anything I should try? They will not come out for treats.... I have tried that.

Got my first egg!!!

The younger ones will stay a subflock until they start laying.....then they will merge a bit more but still may hang out together as a subflock.

Back
Top Bottom