Adding 5 (1) month old chicks in with 5 (2 1/2) month old chicks??

kimslack

Songster
10 Years
Oct 13, 2009
Western NY
I have 5 mixed breed chicks which are in a 10 x 15 foot (about) coop with a small run attached. The coop is within a tin-barn and its insulated with straw bales and a big glass window. I think 3 are roosters which I'm going to probably have to get rid of. I want laying hens.

Someone in the next town has a bunch of 1 month old barred rock chicks. I really like the looks of the barred rocks.

I live in Western NY and its getting cold. The chicks would probably need chicken starter and I have the older chicks now on protein enriched growth feed.

Is it a good idea to mix the two batches? Is the feed a big problem? The roosters will have to wait for the holidays for slaughter. And the weather now is colder. I have some lights and a warming light in the coop for them.

Any comments or suggestions would help. My goal is about 6 laying hens and perhaps one rooster.

depending on the older chicks themselves, is whether you can integrate easily or not.

i had 3 day old ee's attack 1 day old babies. I couldn't put anything in with them. however, i can put anything in with my 2 week old old silkies and they dont care.

i got 8 blue rock babies that were 2 months old, and tried to put 1 month old leghorns in with them, and they backed the leghorns into the corner and wouldn't let them move... but, i the evil ee's let them in.

i dont know if you let them see each other for a while if that helps anything, i'm new to this chicken thing too.

I'm in a very similar situation trying to add 11 six week old chicks with 4 five month olds. Since I am off tom. I am going to try to put them together and see what happens but hopefully they will get along okay. My question is now that the older ones are now laying do I feed them the baby chick feed or do I put both laying feed and chick feed in the coop and let them decide which they prefer?

Back
Top Bottom