adding 8 chickens to my coop

1ChickyMomma

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2015
Goulais River, Ontario, Canada
Im sort of new the adding chicksens to my flock. I currently have 9 hens (red sex link & white leg horn) and about a month ago i added our silkie rooster they are all around a year old. My problem is my neighbour is moving and needs to rehome (to me) her 8 Americana hens. How can i introduce them to my girls in the safest way? Last time with my rooster i used a small dog cage, but this time i cant put them all in the small cage together..
My coupe isnt designed to fence off an area (10x24)

Above is a photo very very similar to my style of chicken coop... Any help is greatly appreated

If you're not worried about quarantine, I'd staple some chicken wire across half the run and give the new girls a box to use as a coop for a week or so and let them meet up that way. If you can't do that, your best bet IMO is to introduce them all free range and just let the politics play out as they will. Luckily there are enough birds in each flock that no one should get ganged up on too bad.

Best of luck!

Unless your set up is a lot larger than pictured, you don't have near enough space for 17 birds.

Yes it is definitely bigger, I'd say three times that size!! I'm not sure of exact measurements since my husband isn't home, he is the one that built it. but I assure you it is certainly larger than the picture displayed. That was the closest style I could find to mine with the loft above the playground

What they are asking is the size of the coop - the building part - not the outside part (the run). From here, the coop doesn't look big enough for 17 birds to roost let alone be indoors during the cold winter weather. I live in MN, and my chickens choose to stay inside when the weather's bad. They don't like snow.

Back
Top Bottom