Adding a custom fan to still air incubator

ahoyaki

Chirping
Jul 21, 2020
1596829896375680329960.jpg
Hello all, I recently bought a little giant still air incubator and added a computer fan. I had heard that adding a fan would boost my hatch rate by a a lot and quickly put together a computer fan and put it underneath my heating element. Should I keep it like this or should I make some adjustments? I just attached it to the ceiling of the incubator with some paper clips and put a plastic shield underneath the fan so that the air doesn't get directly blown onto the eggs. Both the built in digital thermometer and my new thermometer say that the temperature stays within the 99 to the 100 degree temperatures and the humidity both say that the temperature is in the 50's to the 60 degree range

They sell a proper add-on fan for the 9300. I purchased mine from Incubator Warehouse for $21 - about 5 weeks ago. It nests inside the heating square. You don't want anything hanging down bc the chicks will get injured by it possibly or knock it down.

They sell a proper add-on fan for the 9300. I purchased mine from Incubator Warehouse for $21 - about 5 weeks ago. It nests inside the heating square. You don't want anything hanging down bc the chicks will get injured by it possibly or knock it down.
Unfortunately, Im unable to buy the proper fan that fits in especially for this incubator as my parents barely let me buy this incubator as is, however I only plan on hatching quail so maybe it will be fine since they are very small

Yes, that’s better. Quail are pretty tiny. Just make sure it’s really secure and you’ll probably be ok.

The first 2 batches in my 9300 were still air. Great hatch rate 1st time. Only ok second time...I turned less often so I think eggs got too hot being in same position. So, third hatch (with fan) was spectacular, in part bc I turned and repositioned eggs 3x per day until lockdown.

I hatched quail eggs in a homemade styrofoam cooler incubator (still air, heated with lightbulb) and I know there were decent temp swings, but I got about 65% hatch. Quail seem pretty resilient. Good luck!

Yes, that’s better. Quail are pretty tiny. Just make sure it’s really secure and you’ll probably be ok.

The first 2 batches in my 9300 were still air. Great hatch rate 1st time. Only ok second time...I turned less often so I think eggs got too hot being in same position. So, third hatch (with fan) was spectacular, in part bc I turned and repositioned eggs 3x per day until lockdown.

I hatched quail eggs in a homemade styrofoam cooler incubator (still air, heated with lightbulb) and I know there were decent temp swings, but I got about 65% hatch. Quail seem pretty resilient. Good luck!
Thank you!

A very low cfm fan (10- 20cfm) sized at 60x60mm x25mm-ish thick, in a 12volt-2 wire type puter' muffin fan wired into a JST-PH extension connector will then plug right into the appropriate existing connection hole in a little giant still air incubator model 9300. This is common size fan with several popular brands, although connectors will vary.
Various tutorials exist that cover heater unit dis-assembly and fan upgrade re-assembly, do not forget to add drops of any available glue (and let dry) to the heater assembly cover do-hickeys where the tutorials specify to avoid potential heating unit collapse in your hands during the otherwise relatively easy conversion procedure. Incubator warehouse was mentioned above and would certainly would be a good choice for a correctly pre-wired plug and play option.

K :)

Back
Top Bottom